Shift/Throttle Cable Adjustment 1988 35HP Mercury - Am I missing something simple?

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,
I am having trouble getting my shift cable adjusted properly so reverse engages. Forward and neutral are ok but the cable doesn't extend far enough to fully engage reverse. If I disconnect the cable and move the shift mechanism on the engine, reverse works fine. I have the barrel on the shift cable turned all the way in (making the cable reach longer) and it is about 1" short of matching up with the connection on the shift mechanism. I took the shift control apart (Quicksilver Commander 2000) but it doesn't appear you can adjust anything there to extend the cable farther. There is one stud to attach the cable to in there. Any ideas what I am missing? Is there a good tutorial on the adjustments.
Thanks!
Ron

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shift/Throttle Cable Adjustment 1988 35HP Mercury - Am I missing something simple

Very interesting.... if you are using a factory cable and I have never seen what you are describing. As you know, reverse is pushing on a Merc and you should have plenty of room not to have the barrel all the way back.. You don't say if you just bought the boat etc...If this were a 33c cable you can buy different length ends but the 33C cabels can be a problem on the engine side of Merc's.. there is no adjustment on the controller as it is all done at the engine with moving the barrels... How about trying another Merc cable....it doesn 't make sense at all......let us know

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Shift/Throttle Cable Adjustment 1988 35HP Mercury - Am I missing something simple

I agree it doesn't make sense. I did try switching with the throttle cable since they are the same but that didn't help. I bought the motor used last season for my 14 foot bass boat and the controls were already attached to the motor. I took them off to install on my boat last season. The cables are the traditional barrel on each end (Teleflex 600A - 9'). I was going to buy a new cable but didn't want to waste money if I am doing something dumb.
This seems straightforward. Attach them in the controller and adjust the barrel on the motor side so F, N and R all engage properly. It has to be something stupid, I am just not sure what. Maybe something on the controller side is not right? I attached a pic of what things look like on the Commander 2000 Controller end just in case something obvious is wrong. On the motor side, there doesn't seem to be more to it than just adjusting the barrel. Hopefully the pic I attached can paint a clearer picture if someone knows the controller.

Thanks for assisting!
b6enie.jpg

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In case anybody else runs into this, there are clips that mount to the levers where the shiift and throttle cables attach in the control. They basically extend the reach of the cable. Mine had fallen out and I didn't notice them till I was vacuuming the boat. Once installed, problem solved.

I agree it doesn't make sense. I did try switching with the throttle cable since they are the same but that didn't help. I bought the motor used last season for my 14 foot bass boat and the controls were already attached to the motor. I took them off to install on my boat last season. The cables are the traditional barrel on each end (Teleflex 600A - 9'). I was going to buy a new cable but didn't want to waste money if I am doing something dumb.
This seems straightforward. Attach them in the controller and adjust the barrel on the motor side so F, N and R all engage properly. It has to be something stupid, I am just not sure what. Maybe something on the controller side is not right? I attached a pic of what things look like on the Commander 2000 Controller end just in case something obvious is wrong. On the motor side, there doesn't seem to be more to it than just adjusting the barrel. Hopefully the pic I attached can paint a clearer picture if someone knows the controller.

Thanks for assisting!
b6enie.jpg