1958 Mercury Mark 58A newly acquired - not running

EQuiNOX1216

Cadet
Hello.
I noticed that this forum seems to be the best place for information exchange on the topic of my newly acquired motorboat.
As the TITLE suggests, the motor is not in running condition at this time.
The electrical system seems intact. I connected a new battery and turned the key (at the helm) and the starter/solenoid clicked. Nothing more.
I can pull the starter chord and the motor cranks.
The fuel lines and gas tank seem to be in good condition.
But the control cables are shot. Rusted through. So I am looking for those.
Also, I think the steering cable may be bad as it does not seem to turn the motor as it should.

I live in Northern Oregon state so I have to play games with the weather just to spend any time troubleshooting this thing. On top of that, I drive a truck for a living so I only get home on weekends.
I was wondering if there is a list of things to go through on a motor which has been sitting at least 10 years in an attempt to discover if it is worth saving... and/or to prepare it for starting up.

Thank you all for your time and willingness to help others with your knowledge.

EQ

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1958 Mercury Mark 58A newly acquired - not running

Welcome to the forums. You need to test the starting system to see what is shot, starter, solenoid, wiring, hard to say. Pull starting will show you if it's got spark with a good spark tester. As for the motor, do a compression test on it before anything to determine if it's a motor worth working on. Other stuff- carb service is a must on a motor that is unknown, water pump (impeller) as well. The control cables- john's old mercury website- create an account and post a wanted ad, you'll find the controls with someone on that site.

EQuiNOX1216

Cadet

Thank you, bktheking.
I appreciate your efforts.

EQ

Mi duckdown

Commander

A compression test is a must. before going any further.