1967 Mercury 950ss - no neutral or reverse

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 950ss on my boat and have no neutral or reverse, just forward. Could this problem be related to the throttle box??? If so, do I need a model specific throttle box or are they pretty much universal? Any help would be much appreciated.

My friend and I had neutral on the boat last year but still no reverse. Then this year the throttle box was taken apart, and I am wondering if maybe it got put back together wrong? Could this cause the no neutral or reverse? Thanks for your input.

merc850

Commander
Re: 1967 Mercury 950ss - no neutral or reverse

This is the type that that motor uses
mercontrol.jpg
disconnect the shift cable from the motor then move the handle from forward to reverse, the plastic end should move about 4" if it does then you probably have it misinstalled. Set the handle at N and move the shift connection at the engine into N then check the alignment, if it's off turn the brass barrel until you can insert the locking pin into its holder. If you can try to shift from F to N and while turning prop into R to check for gear range, it's possible that the shift in the LU is off from wrong installation.

Attachments

• cable-adjt..jpg
    cable-adjt..jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm not 100% sure on what you mean as far as fixing the problem. Do you think the problem is in the gear box or just adjustments that need to be made in the motor? Are gear boxes universal or if I buy a new one would it need to be engine specific?

M

Maxz695

There are different models for different types of engines and control cables but, there are many different styles for just mercury. They do sell adapters for changeovers but, I wouldn,t recommend that kind os set up. A commander 2000 is what I bought. Mercury has barrel fastener type cable anchores. You will need that type of throttle box to accommedate those type cables

merc850

Commander

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm not 100% sure on what you mean as far as fixing the problem. Do you think the problem is in the gear box or just adjustments that need to be made in the motor? Are gear boxes universal or if I buy a new one would it need to be engine specific?
The first step is to check the shift cable travel with the cable disconnected from the engine- move the control handle thru FNR and if it moves about 4" then it's OK. Shift the motor shift lever (inside the cowling) from F to N then install cable onto motor shifter lever and anchor, if it is off a little bit
turn the brass barrel to align it
Now you should have FN turning prop to check and make sure you are turning the prop to check R.
Do you have the style of control box that I attached in my first answer?

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, that is the exact same style of control box. What do you mean by turning the prop to check reverse and forward/neutral?

merc850

Commander

If it is in F and you turn the prop CW it will ratchet - turn it CCW and it will resist. N is freewheeling and - always turn it while shifting into R - and, it will be locked in R.