• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

197? mercury 110 9.8 hp running problems

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 197? mercury 110 9.8 hp running problems

recently aquired a early 1970s mercury 110 9.8 hp , after some new wireing and an imppeller, i had it running , ran great in barrel, shifted into forword and reverse fine, but in lake it doesnt seem to run well, when first started out it would sputter and die at WOT, after a while of playing it ran ok but still didnt have much "get up n go" its on a 14 ft aluminum oachita flatbottom, maybe pushed me about 7 mph

question is were do i start in getting MORE outa this motor?? any advice would be great maybe another owner of this motor

thanx Kenny
    "Grounds 4 Divorce"

Re: 197? mercury 110 9.8 hp running problems

First things first, what are the compression readings. Second, is it firing on both cylinders?
    sigpicSignature- If you have fuel and spark- Have you checked compression?

Comment

Yep +1

Comment

first pull 80 psi on each cylinder great spark on top cylinder bottom cylinder is missing/ sparked 1 outa 4 pulls, i know whe i got the motor i had to replace the brown wire to kill switch (dryrot) and the green wire to the coil on cylinder not fireing properly and it looked like the red wire to the other coil had been replaced previously,

next step? swap wires to coils around and see if its the coil or wires from under flywheel?
        "Grounds 4 Divorce"

Comment

Do you know if this motor has the phase maker ignition? A SN would be a good start. If it is phase maker, they have isolation blocks down under the points that attach from the points and go to the coils. Over time these blocks either melt or crack and cause a leak to ground, absence of trigger so the coils don't fire or fire intermittantly. I suspect that's why you aren't getting the performance you want out of the motor, on one cylinder a twin is an absolute dog.

Comment

the front of cowling says "thunderbolt ignition" if that helps and the serial # is 3264735, acording to the mercury serial # to year model chart its a 1972 ish ,
            "Grounds 4 Divorce"

Comment

well through process of elimination ive determaned the coil pack for lower cylinder is bad , DARN, called local marine place 70 bucks hummm guess could be worse, maybe with it fireing on both cylineders i can get some life outa this thing
              "Grounds 4 Divorce"

Comment

Did you swap coils around? Some of the coils have a ground strap which comes out the back of the coil and grounds agaist the coil holder, sometimes the coil ground wire corrodes.

Comment

ya i swaped wires around, took wires from coil that was fireing (#1)and put them on none firing coil (#2), no luck, then hooked wires up that go to none fireing coil (#2) to good coil (#1), had great spark, so if #2 coil didnt work with eather set of wires im guessing its bad , right?
                  "Grounds 4 Divorce"

Comment

Wires- you are talking about the wires coming from the points vs the plug wires. If so , then yes.

Comment

yes the wires coming from unde rthe flywheel,

well its back togeather and now firing on both cylinders, 80 psi on both cylinders guess time for round 2 of test in the lake LOL hopefully i dont get out run by a turtle thistime LOL
                      "Grounds 4 Divorce"

Comment

You should be good to go, spark on both makes a HUGE difference.

Comment

ok now for my next problem, i know this is the wrong forum but what the heck, this motor is on a 1972 0uachita 14' aluminum rivited jon boat, with just the motor and gear in it it floats rather level, once my fat butt (230) lbs gets in the back it feals like it sits way to low in the back, the only flotation is the styrofoam built into the three benches across the boat, is it posable to add flotation foam of some sort to the back of the boat to help with the weight issue? if so were do i start to look for it and what type and all?
                          "Grounds 4 Divorce"

Comment

Won't help, you need to put ballast in the front of the boat to offset your weight. All floatation foam does is keep the boat afloat if it were to sink. Some people use sandbags, a spare gas tank, I usually bring my buddy. However , you haven't run at full power , at 7mph I can't imagine your boat getting on plane. Run it again and see how you fair out.

Comment

wow what an amazing difference, thank you for all your help and guidence bktheking, my merc purrs like a kitten now and gets up on plane great, id say 10 ta 14 mph and water was a lil rough thow, now a hole new problem LMAO , man boats are a expencive hobby bout so far even with the brokein evinrude i bought first i still have less then 1000 in the hole rig 275 for 14 ft boat, 175. for evinrude 9.5, 275 for mercury and 150 in parts, guess i aint doin to bad,
                              "Grounds 4 Divorce"

Comment

Working...
                              X