1967 Merc 35 hp timing

earringboy

Seaman
I have a 1967 Merc 35hp twin ser 2154172. I took it out of long term storage and had no spark. I proceeded to remove the flexplate from the center to gain acess to the points. Like a bone head I failed to mark the position and now have no idea which of the 8 spots is correct. Can anybody tell me? I am guessing the center of the two magnets should be in line with the keyway in the crank.

Thanks
Jeremy
1305556175.jpg
[/IMG]

merc850

Commander
Re: 1967 Merc 35 hp timing

Look for a mark on the flywheel that might be TDC, turn the engine over with a pen in the top cylinder until the piston rises up to the top, this is TDC. Put the flywheel on and see if the bolt holes line up, they might be off slightly but that means that the mark on the flywheel is BTDC.

BartDP

Recruit
Hello Earringboy.
Did you finally resolve the spark problem ?
I think I have a 1969 ( serial 2488757 ) and it seems the same as in your picture.
Bought it about 35 years ago, I saved it from a junkyard , so didn't even know the status of it.
Never tried to start them last 35 years ;-) First time I take a look to it.
It has the same problem : no spark. Bought already 2 new spark plugs, still the same.
Are there even contact points in this one ( and if so where are they located ?)

Maybe stupid question ( as I only started looking who this one to get it working , and I even have nothing on documentation on this one : electric connections on the motor is only one connector with 2 pins. I suppose this is the stop button ? And to stop the motor these 2 pins should be connected ?

For other readers : any info and links or pdf's are very welcome !

Kind regards from Belgium

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hello Earringboy.
Did you finally resolve the spark problem ?
I think I have a 1969 ( serial 2488757 ) and it seems the same as in your picture.
Bought it about 35 years ago, I saved it from a junkyard , so didn't even know the status of it.
Never tried to start them last 35 years ;-) First time I take a look to it.
It has the same problem : no spark. Bought already 2 new spark plugs, still the same.
Are there even contact points in this one ( and if so where are they located ?)

Maybe stupid question ( as I only started looking who this one to get it working , and I even have nothing on documentation on this one : electric connections on the motor is only one connector with 2 pins. I suppose this is the stop button ? And to stop the motor these 2 pins should be connected ?

For other readers : any info and links or pdf's are very welcome !

Kind regards from Belgium

Welcome aboard.

This thread is over 4 years old and earringboy doesn't visit any more. Please look at the Help Tip on top of the page. Started a new thread for you over here - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...years-now-what