1973 Mercury 1150 Inline 6 distributor cap hole

rhayes2849

Cadet
Can anyone tell me if the hole on the distributor cap should have a cap or plug in it? The cap is blue. This hole is a manufactured hole. The motor runs well just has a hard time cold starting.

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Mercury 1150 Inline 6 distributor cap hole

Yes that hole should have a breather with a screen. I wouldn't fret about it...

rhayes2849

Cadet

Thanks,

Just found this pic, can't tell we the hose goes that come from the distributor cap..any ideas.

boatpic2.jpg

Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Original cap was yellow and had a elbow that breather hose attached to. The later model replacement caps are blue and the hoses where dropped from production and a spark arrester plug took their place.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

With a little humor those are what is called a spark arrester plug and if its not there and you happen to be adjusting the timing or whatever and you have your hand on the distributor cap while cranking or running it will let you know that cap is missing.Wakes you right up.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How are you starting it that you're having a hard time getting it running when cold? From my experience, every outboard likes to be started a little different. For my merc inline-6 it likes to be around 1/3 throttle in neutral, 3 squirts of the electric primer and hit the key. My merc v6 is a few years older and has the electric choke button instead that actuates the choke flapper doors. If I don't hold down the choke button while cranking I could crank it forever without it firing.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Most inlines 6's are cold blooded I prime mine with the bulb when hard give it one more good squeeze.Move my cold start lever all the way forward,hold the choke button down and hit the key.Might take 2 or 3 tries because I dont like to crank my starter for extended peroid of time.Inlines love gas almost impossible to flood.Once she's warm,good to go for the rest of the day.Never heard of an electric primer on a 73 inline 6 unless it was modified which I have read can be done.I dont know much about v6's but if its like an inline Cold Blooded CHOKE IT.Works for me.

rhayes2849

Cadet

Gomer50, Thanks. I will get the spark arrester plug and put it in there. Yes it has a electric choke and I moved my cold start lever all the way forward,hold the choke button down and hit the key, and she ran! Thanks again to all for the help.

I love the water
rhayes