trouble lower unit removal merc 40hp 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIX7T7

Recruit
Have dropped the lower unit but the linkage seems to be holding on. Any help on whats holding it. Don't see any nuts or clips at the lower end. Is there something up top.

Thanks

RIX7T7

Recruit
Re: trouble lower unit removal merc 40hp 2004

4 stroke, checking for serial number

carholme

Rear Admiral

That engine is a model number 1A40412DD.

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/6995.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-883064R02

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/FourStroke/883064/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Look under4 "Gear Housing, Non Bigfoot" page 6A-12 for Removal Instructions.

When ready to install, page 6A-46 for Installation Instructions.

You should do just fine with these and if you have any problems, come back to the site and ask as there will be someone here to help you.

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

We must have stepped on each other. Did you get it yet?

Gerry

RIX7T7

Recruit

We did and I got it done with the links you sent. Big thanks for chiming in and helping me out. What a horrible job trying to get you're hands in to flip that pin lock and even more tough get it back in and aligned so I could lock it again. Thats the worse lower unit drop I've experienced.
But its done... :)

cr2k

Captain

Try an older OMC OB. Yours will seem easy.

63columbian

Recruit
Can't get my lower unit down. I know this is old - but in the slight chance the OP is available - where exactly is the linkage connection that allows you to remove lower unit. I have mine hanging! Other bolts etc all off...

Chuck

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can't get my lower unit down. I know this is old - but in the slight chance the OP is available - where exactly is the linkage connection that allows you to remove lower unit. I have mine hanging! Other bolts etc all off...

Chuck

Slight chance is right. No visits in 8 years. Start a thread of your own after reading the Help Tip on top of the page.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.