1993 Mercury 15 hp Impeller

Steve_n_mn

Cadet
1st time posting and have a few questions on replacing the impeller on my 1993 15 hp Model # 0D258427.

I picked the motor up dirt-cheap and it's like new w/ very few hours in fresh water. I just had the carb rebuilt and the tech suggested I replace the thermostat and impeller because it's peeing luke warm. He said the discharge should be the same temp as the intake, which was cold when we ran it. I picked up the thermostat, plate gasket, and seal today.

Does design 1 & 2 use the same impeller?

Should I replace anything in addition to the impeller once I have it off, like the nylon washers, seal, plate, gasket below plate, etc?

Is the removal and reinstall of the lower unit as easy as the manual says? Any tips or tricks pulling or reinstalling it?

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/827242r1/6.pdf?

Thanks in advance

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1993 Mercury 15 hp Impeller

Steve;

Your engine s/n is a model:

1015201ND MERCURY 1993 15

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/496.cfm

You will see that the impeller is the same for Design 1/11

As for other parts replacement, get it torn apart first to see if the plate or housing are scored and that there is no evidence of oil leakage from the LU.

The LU removal and installation is not a problem, just follow the gear shift instructions on removal and installation. This is to ensure that when you have it back together, that the gear selected on the boat, will be the gear the LU is actually in.

Gerry

Steve_n_mn

Cadet

Thanks for the info Carholme.

I was reading through some posts and keep seeing that the fins on the impeller should be facing clockwise. Is this correct and what I should expect to see upon removal? The manual says to rotate the driveshaft clockwise when seating the housing over the impeller. Wouldn't that make the fins face counter clockwise?

Thanks

M

Maxz695

make sure you greese the vains on the impeller I use vasalione but greese is fine. Then turn the main shaft clockwise while slowly presing down on the impeller it will fall into place all by itself. the fins will be counter clockwise as the motion of the engine is clockwise. the cup is off center allowing this to occur.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use FM2 grease which is food grade, and does not react with rubber. Crisco works too.

M

Maxz695

good luck make sure the shifter is in the same position as the LU when reinstalling N or F is fine

Steve_n_mn

Cadet

Went to pick up the impeller today and the parts guy gave me a kit, so I guess I will do the Gasket, Plate, Key, and Washers also. I probably should have got the seal to.

A couple more questions and it's coming off.

Does the detent spring need to come off as the manual says, or can I get by w/ just unclipping the coupler? Getting those 2 little bolts back in looks like it would be a pita.

I can't make out where the .25-inch bead of RTV sealer goes looking at the manual. I assume it is where two surfaces mate, but would like to know exactly where to put it, and it's purpose. Will I need to wait 12-24 hours for the sealer to cure before firing it up.

Thanks for everyone?s help!!

Steve_n_mn

Cadet

Got it done...Thanks again for all the help.

Ended up replacing the seal in the impeller housing as it was getting brittle.

I got bye w/ just Loosening the detent spring.

Figured out the RTV goes on the water pump housing where it meets the divider plate in the middle section. Turns out the lower unit had never been off and the RTV the factory put on was about 1/8" in diameter and never made contact w/ the middle section...just a nice bead sitting there. 1/4" diameter like the manual says will seal the two, which I guess keeps the exaust away from the water pump.

Now for another question. I noticed the "Lever" (Part #43153) that the shift linkage attaches to appers to wobble around a bit when shifting. Do these wear out and end up not rotating smoothly? It appears to be plastic and the drawing don't show a bushing it sits in. I can't see how it would be worn out w/ so few hours on the motor.