Finished paint job on 60 mercury 2 stroke

bost0nwh@ler

Cadet
Just finished a week long project on my 60 hp mercury 2 stroke. Primed, painted, and clear coated everything except the prop. I think it looks completely brand new. For anyone painting there outboard mercury use the mercury OEM black phantom spray, light gray primer, clear coat, and for the prop mercury propeller black. This paint job was all done with rattle can spray cans, and for that they did an excellent job. Let me know if you like the job or any opinions. Thanks will upload pics!

IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg

M

Maxz695

Re: Finished paint job on 60 mercury 2 stroke

Nice job I,ll be getting to mine soon lol

swamp-fox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah that looks really good, I'm in the process of painting mine. Did you leave it on the boat and just tape everything? Also what did you do before primer? As in sand or strip to the metal or just scuffed it up?

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh man that looks good. You deserve to be proud of that job!
Did you clear coat over the stickers and what kind of clear coat did you use?

bost0nwh@ler

Cadet

Thanks! Yeah I left it on the boat and taped everything off like nuts,bolts, screws. Then I took news paper and covered the whole back of the boat to protect from overspray. My engine really wasn't in bad shape I just like things to look new so I just primed over the existing paint job. Sanding u will need to do and a lot of it!

bost0nwh@ler

Cadet

I didn't clear coat over the stickers. I was wondering if I should and I used mercury oem clear coat

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great job,will paint mine soon.Previous owner didn't cover boat so looks like it's been dragged through gravel pit.Going to order new decals and was also wondering if you clear coat over them or do they have own protective surface.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just checked with my local dealer. He stated that the only make using a clear coat is Honda. I do know that 2 part clear coats are fuel resistant.

bost0nwh@ler

Cadet

Order from replicals.com I paid 70.00 for money and it'll tell you all about them.

emoney

Commander

I think that looks awesome and inspiring!

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

I am concidering redoing the paint on the power head of my '77 Merc 500. I don't know that I will go to the extent that you did. Man, that looks fantastic! Great job!

So the Merc primer is something special I guess? I have not purchased anything yet.

bost0nwh@ler

Cadet

Thanks yeah mercury's oem paint in general is great for being out of a can. Only thing my finger is sore hahaha