1987 45 hp Mercury outboard

:facepalm:Today at 02:55:58 I have the above listed motor and am having a problem with it running properly....It'll run good for a bit then it dies out. Granted, I believe it sat for a year with the same "old gas" in the motor. At first we needed starter fluid just to get it running then discovered this was a bad idea. . Drained the old gas and cleaned the tanks, put a fresh gas mix with proper oil and sea foam (heard this was a good idea) and it ran for a "minute" but won't idle. It'll turn right over in the back yard with the muffs on but get her on the water and she won't cooperate. I'm looking to rebuild the carb (heard this was the next step) but have absolutely no idea how to do this...I've heard they can be a real pain to take off these older motors but I'm willing to do the time and needed to work to get the boat running and fishing ready. I've found a few diagrams but they look pretty complicated...Any advise on how to keep my sanity while doing this or maybe some other suggestions on what could be bogging my motor down and keeping it from idling and running proper?? Thanks for any suggestions in advance... Seriously stressing over this!!!! BTW---serial # OB216643 model # 45ELPT

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: 1987 45 hp Mercury outboard

It'll turn right over in the back yard with the muffs on but get her on the water and she won't cooperate.

gamecock.

A compression check would be the first thing I would do.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Any advise on how to keep my sanity while doing this
Get yourself a FACTORY service manual......
other suggestions on what could be bogging my motor down and keeping it from idling and running proper??
1) gunked ups carbs
2) not firing on all cylinders
3) compression low

Dang...thought I posted everything..Did a compression check and that's good. Also changes the plugs and its def firing all cyl...Already checked the service manual and I'm sorry but it's not very helpful...

Mi duckdown

Commander

OEM Mercury Service/repair Manual??? NOT SELOC? CLYMER?
Specific for the Year and model.???

Yes sir ordered the "original manual from amazon...This has been an ongoing struggle..I fear the only solution is a carb re-build which I don't want to do but will if it proves necessary...:confused: I'm just not very familiar with boats...

Mi duckdown

Commander

Amazon.??
Boats/cars. They are all nuts and bolts.
Quite Simple if you have the right instructions.
Were You in the Service Gamecock?

Ordered the "original" owners manual from Amazon.com but as I said very little help...I guess I'll just refer to the diagram I found on google. And as for your other question I am a military wife and sister..Marine Corps to be exact..Husband has served a year long TOD in Afghanistan and brother is currently serving his TOD there as well...luckily though scheduled to be home the end of this month...Got to get the boat running before then. The boy wants to go fishing and after 9 months in the "sandbox" he can have anything he likes...OAN I plan on disassembling that carb in the am..I'm guessing it'll take around 3 hours but I'll update on the progress and certainly do appreciate the advice.

carholme

Rear Admiral

The s/n for your engine comes up as a model:

1045727 MERCURY 1987 45

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/335.cfm

Service Manual: P/N 90-86135--5

Here is a service manual on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEALER-MANUAL-MERCURY-MARINER-SERVICE-MANUAL-/140452275932

and another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCURY-MARINER-45-50-60-70-HP-SERVICE-MANUAL-/170622303606

Unfortunately, the Owners Manual will be of little help to you if that is what you have.

You said that it ran for a minute. Do you think that you can start it again on the muffs? If so, keep your hand on the primer bulb and just keep squeezing it gently enough to keep it firm, don't over pressure it and see if the engine will keep running.

Gerry

Took the carbs off and cleaned them out really good out it back together and now it won't do anything...especially in respect to the starter. It turned over twice straight away, then the hubby moved the little black wire from the big black wire hooked to the starter, not sure where he put it, but after he did that it won't turn, turn over or anything. It's like the starter just died...I'm mind boggled. I'm wondering what if anything I can do to check the starter. Any suggestions? Also, when I pump the bulb it sprays gas out the bottom carb...I have no idea what's going on with this motor...

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Start by undoing what hubby did.Don't understand why your touching starter when you have a carb problem.You cleaned, then she kicked, then you fiddled with the starter?Now she don't kick.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If its spraying gas out of the carb, you may have a stuck float. It sounds like your over-stressed about working on your motor. Its not complicated, just take a breath and take your time. Sometimes these things can be frustrating, but it sounds like your determined and thats the first step. My hats off to your hubby and brother from an ex Navy man.

The reason I touched the starter is due to the fact that it has to come off to get the bottom carb off....The wires were re-arranged as a result of the fact that I wasn't sure if the wires were re-connected properly when the starter was put back on the motor. As I said, at first it turned over a few times but wouldn't catch and run so wires were moved to see if this was indeed the issue. When we tried to start it after moving the wires, it made a "popping" sound and now won't do anything except engage the choke. As for the float being stuck, I'm unsure of how to get it unstuck considering I already took it apart and they both appeared to be in proper working order...Also prior to cleaning the carbs, it would start, run, accelerate, and idle in the back with the muffs on but wouldn't run out on the water consistently..Now it will not do ANYTHING!!! I was told to test the starter by checking the solenoid but not sure where to go from there...HELP!!!!

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your best bet is to go up to Carholme's post and get your "Service Manual".Most of your answers will be in there.This site and a manual in hand,you can't go wrong.The best thing you will ever buy for the boat.

M

Maxz695

did you change the needle and seats when rebuilding the carbs? if there not sealing you will get constant gas flow when squeezing the ball.

So got the solenoid replaced and the motor fired right up. Now it won't run "full speed."
When the throttle is engaged half way it sounds like the motor is giving it all she's got. We engage the throttle all the way and nothing happens..If it's not the ants it's the flies. This thing really has me stumped..any suggestions?
:confused:

Wingedwheel thanks a million for the website..It's perfect and has everything..Again, thanks!!!

What type meter do you need to test the stator...I have an Innova 3320. Can I use this and if so which setting do I use? I have already googled this and can't find what I'm looking for....

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gamecock girl If you search the forums here on how to make a DVA for your meter it will also tell you how to use it. You're welcome for the website info