135 hp mercury out board 1971 i presume

dafallenone

Recruit
it starts up after a couple of time but once it try to open up to full throttle it dies.... i need help guys this is my first boat i bought ..... i only had it a few days like a week maybe and first time i took it out to the lake and it wont go full throttle.... got any suggestions? my first thought was bad gas, than clogged fuel filter, than tune up came to mind, .... looks like new spark plugs but the wires looked the original sets omfg... right lol....so wut do u all suggest i do to figure out why my motor wont open up without dying? thanks for all ur help to come .......from an new boater

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 135 hp mercury out board 1971 i presume

You should start with the basics. Take a compression test and report results. If that is good, and it runs at idle, it is fixable for modest $$. On those motors, the wiring goes bad ($100 replacement item), and the carbs get dirty ($15-$100 depending on what you need to rebuild the 3 carbs). The rest of the effort is labor, which you should be able to do.

One more thing. Remove the lower gearcase plug and drain the gear oil. It should be clear, not milky. Replace it with 25 oz of any marine gear oil for manual shift motors.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 135 hp mercury out board 1971 i presume

Did you get a manual when you got the boat.If not buy one.only get merc one,others are crp.Using your serial # will ensure you get the right one.Dying at WOT could be many things..fuel...electrical.