1966 Mercury 80 6hp impeller. Help!

cowchipz

Cadet
What is the trick to replacing the water pump impeller with the small pin?:confused:

I have tried several times, but cannot figure it out. I cannot get the pin in the slot on the shaft and in the groove in the impeller.

Also, is there a drawing that shows how the impeller should look when installed?
Thanks.

cowchipz

Cadet
Re: 1966 Mercury 80 6hp impeller. Help!

Title should read "Mercury 60".......

cowchipz

Cadet

I checked out the sites listed above, and I could not find the info I need.

There has to be an easy way to get the impeller drive pin in the impeller grove. You cannot put in in from the top. I can only assume you have to slide the impeller over the pin somehow, and I cannot figure out how to get it to line up.

cowchipz

Cadet

Well, I figured it out. You just have to be patient to figure out how to do it. I marked the driveshaft so I knew where the flat spot was. I marked the impeller so I knew where the groove was. I put the drive shaft horizontal and put a bunch of grease on the flat spot, then set the pin in the grease, lined up with my mark. Make sure the flat spot is turned where it is the widest in the impeller housing. I then slid the impeller on the shaft and lined it up with the mark. Push like heck, and wiggle the impellers, and it did go on.