1979 Mercury 90HP Fuel Pump

hjones0922

Seaman Apprentice
I found a boat for sale that seems like a really good deal. The guy was real up front and honest, but I still haven't seen the boat since it's 3 hours away from me. It's got a 1979 Merc 90 on it, and needs a fuel pump. Everything I saw online (didn't look that hard) said that part was obsolete. Can anyone give me any info on it, price, links to buy, advice, etc?

-HJ

swamp-fox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 Mercury 90HP Fuel Pump

All a fuel pump is, is a set of diaphrams that kind of work off the pulsating of the motor. The fuel pump kit is here on iboats. (It says unless its a square one) but i'm sure that one is available some where too. If the housing for the pump is cracked that might be a different story, it may be obsolete.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

When he told you it needs a fuel pump,does this mean it doesnt have one or does it need to be rebuilt?If the motor doesnt have one uh oh these are hard to find.If it needs rebuilding no problem rebuild kits are available.I have the exact same motor just a 78 and I needed some parts (fuel pump) and found one on ebay.However not all is lost the inline 6 used several different style fuel pump setups.With that being said if you are bound and determined to run this motor which is not a bad motor (I love em).You could change out the tranfer port cover/s and use this style fuel pump.Pics below.This all depends on if you want to invest $$ and time.
tranfer port.JPGfuel pump.JPG

hjones0922

Seaman Apprentice

For the price I think it's worth it. From what he told me, it's there on the motor still, but just not working. I looked up the kits earlier today (after I found out it was just a kit), and they are pretty cheap. All I've ever had is older boats with older motors, and I've always been happy with them, so I think I will stick with what I know and go with this one. $1400 for the boat (18' bayliner cobra), motor, trailer, 2 yr old 50lb trolling motor, Humminbird 525, 3 anchors, 13 life jackets, and a brand new Big Bertha tube.

swamp-fox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, if that's all that is wrong with the motor sounds like a good deal. Buying a motor that old without atleast hearing it run...I wish you the best of luck

hjones0922

Seaman Apprentice

I'm picking it up next Saturday up in Salisbury NC, so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm still thinking that for the price (oh, got it for $1325 btw) I can't really go wrong, even if I just turn around and resell it. Can't resell on here though, everyone knows what I paid for it LOL!!