Carb cleaner

spicoastie

Cadet
Re: Carb cleaner

B-12 is the best to use, if you can get some at your local auto parts store.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Has anyone used seafoam?

Hmmmmmmmmm type in the search box....... seafoam and let me know what happens!!!! I think you might find a few results ;)

It sounds like alot of people use it. I think one my carbs on my Mercury 50 may be plugged up, I was wondering if this might help before I start pulling them off to clean them.

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like alot of people use it. I think one my carbs on my Mercury 50 may be plugged up, I was wondering if this might help before I start pulling them off to clean them.

I bought an old boat with a 1986 mercury. The owner told me the carbs needed cleaning. I started using seafoam for the remaining of the summer and thu the fall. After removing the carbs. I found the gaskets were shot but the carbs were very clean. They really did not need to be soaked but I did this anyway. I recommend seafoan.

Last edited:

j_martin

Admiral

Running that outboard with a fuddled up carb is a good way to do serious damage to it, like burning the top out of a piston.

Just get the gasket kits, pull the carbs and go through them, cleaning them well and adjusting them just right. Then you'll have good performance right away and maybe avoid the big bill.

Carb cleaner, SeaFoam, etc won't replace proper maintenance. They have their place, but it's not engine tune-up.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

You can spray all the crap you want in the carb.. It won't clean the jets(unless by some freak chance)..All you going to do is wash the oil off the cylinder walls with that stuff..
Remove the carb(s).. Then use your spray to clean the inside of your carb... Get everything good and clean...