1998 Mercury 150 Offshore Bogs at times

mark806

Recruit
Hello,

This is my first post here!

Ok so here my situation.

I have 1998 150 Mercury offshore carbureted that bogs at times, I changed the plugs, fuel filter, drained old gas replaced with new, compression is good in all cylinders. It starts right up and after it warms up a few minutes i can take off with no problem, but if I stop at a fishing spot or on the beach for 5-10 minutes and get ready to go again it wants to start with the choke and throttle up a little like its been sitting for days but I only stopped for a few minutes, once I let it run for a few minutes with the idle a little high I take off with no problem. Then I was trolling at a higher speed but not planed out for a few minutes then went to hammer on it to go and it bog out and died, restarted and took right off. The best I can think is carbs, I just bought it and its very clean so I assume it either sat a lot or was fresh water used. I can run all day long at full speed with no problems, its just if I stop for a few minutes or troll at lower rpms it bogs just as I try and get on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1998 Mercury 150 Offshore Bogs at times

If it were mine,

New motor, first step, check compression just to be sure it's in good mechanical shape.

Then I'd go through the carbs, being sure every little passage is clean, floats adjusted perfectly, and also all new gaskets, including under the input seat, and jet carriers.

Install a fuel pump kit just for good measure.

Job's not done yet. Complete formal linkage and timing adjustment by the book.

I think you'll be amazed.
John

mark806

Recruit

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my delayed response... I just discovered that one of the fuel lines that goes from the enricher valve to the carburetor is crack at the end, I am surprised it is still connected its split so for down the line. Could this be giving me the bogging problem? Possibly sucking air? I have done all of the things you mentioned about which seemed to help but still having the bogging when I try and accelerate.

j_martin

Admiral

If yer enricher lines are splitting, maybe your bleed lines are getting bad too. That'll mess up your idle for sure.

And yes, I'd think an open enricher nipple would lean it out at idle.