Mercury XRI

mtnman05

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking to buy a 1994 Ranger 374v with a 1994 175hp Mercury XRI Black Max outboard motor. The owner and I took it out for a test drive and when we cranked it up and backed it off the trailer it wasn't pumping water. After about 30 seconds I said it isn't pumping and he then Revved it up and it started pumping just fine. The water pressure gauge was reading anywhere from 2-5psi at idle and 10-15 going down the lake at a moderate speed. He told me that that was normal for some of those motors to need to be revved up to get them to prime and start pumping. This don't sound normal to me so am I looking at needing to replace the water pump impeller/housing if I purchase this boat??
Also, how are these motors as far as fuel economy and reliability?

Thanks

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury XRI

Water pressure is right...good motors as long as you use good fresh fuel, water separator, good oil. Change the pump every year..they are cheap to replace to insure always having good water pressure...

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Mercury XRI

It was pumping water all along. All the water from the tell-tale has to go through a t-stat. It just wasn't warmed up yet. 30 seconds at an easy idle is pretty normal.

The true utility of the tell tale is that if it's showing, the engine is warm enough for a hole shot. If it isn't, you risk a cold sieze because the pistons expand much faster than the block under stress.

hope it helps
John