is my stator bad? or do i have another problem?

evin/skeet

Cadet
Re: is my stator bad? or do i have another problem?

go to marine engine.com enter your model number and there is exploded diagrams for the entire engine

evin/skeet

Cadet

and no the trigger assymbly is not the rectifier this is located under the fly wheel and stator the rectifier is probably on the passenger side of the motor kinda looks like a solinoid

carholme

Rear Admiral

As I said, if you want information, provide the s/n, The reason you can't find it there on boats.net is that you are using the wrong s/n range.

Good luck, I am gone!

Gerry

skinwalker

Seaman Apprentice

incorrect i am using the correct s/n. 0e09515 thats to a 95 sportjet 90hp. that is exactly the link i am using. I have no clue what you are referencing

from doing some more research i believe it should be under "alternator components" a category which is missing (yes it is also missing from the 94 spotjet s/n's as well.)

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yo cadet if your like me and do mostly all mechanic work on your boat your gonna need a DVA. the one i bought only cost me $42 from toolsource.com . i've had mine for years now and barley use it but when issues arise instead of guessing i can pinpoint it using an online manual from the first post when you get to the mercury fourms. in the past i was like you when had problems with motor i was what you call a "PARTS CHANGER MECHANIC" kept changing parts till it finally fixed problem. now a days more strapped for cash and want to fix just what is broken. O YEAH listen to the guys on this fourm they have alot of knowledge. they really really helped me out recently on my motor that i thought was the stator too but wasn't. just gotta be patient.

skinwalker

Seaman Apprentice

"helped me out recently on my motor that i thought was the stator too but wasn't."

what was it then?

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Therer are a lot of checks in the mercury manual you can do to check the whole ignition system. It will tell you all the readings and ranges when using the meter. The only thing that stinks is I have been in range on bad parts before so it is best effort.

skinwalker

Seaman Apprentice

new stator installed, might go to boat dock to test out later today, did fire up in garage (oops i know not supposed to do that):facepalm:

skinwalker

Seaman Apprentice

I took the boat out, put it on trailer started it up, ran good, idle sounded ok or improvement. It NEVER DIED... however.. we turned it off, brought it up the ramp (to untie) put back in the water, turned key and NOTHING, motor turned but wouldnt fire. I assumed heat and flooding must be an issue now. So frustrated i took the boat back home. I did more reading on the forum and took off the coil covers and saw 2 immediate problems. the 2nd coils outside magnet was broken and the top coil had a lead that was not attached!! (remember i bought the boat used). I took a picture of the coil and want to make sure i diagnosed it as broken. It seems like the magnet around them is taped together ... is the case supposed to be crackd or the magnet? Will this cause the failed restart issues?

http://postimage.org/image/1sy3xp4uc/

skinwalker

Seaman Apprentice

i was reading that when you press in the start key you should hear a "click" on the choke. Well does this mean that the "auto enricher" should make a clicking noise? If so nothing in my motor clicks when i press in the start key.

how do i test the auto enricher?

update my brother tested for power on the two yellow wires at the auto enricher and he recieve zero volts. He never turned the motor over he just turned the key to the on position and also pused the key in (to choke) and recieve no voltage. Is this normal?

skinwalker

Seaman Apprentice

ohm test conducted between two yellow wires coming off of the auto enricher. Reads 27.2 (I believe should read 18-20?). Also i read autoenricher gets power from the stator so it must be cranking to test for power I assume.

skinwalker

Seaman Apprentice

can anyone please advise based on my questions and reported tests?

skinwalker

Seaman Apprentice

well just bought 3 more coils thanks to the lack of reply here. I'm not in deep with 1 new battery, 3 new spark plubs, 1 stator, and 3 new coils...

Auto Enricher is my next target but thats $200 and i need a way of narrowing that down as a culprit.

downsideup

Cadet

well just bought 3 more coils thanks to the lack of reply here.

Seems to me you got lots of replies and chose to ignore them. Now your asking for yet another handout? Send me a PDF manual??? Are you for real?

I rarely post on here because:
A: I search and read posts relevant to my engine
2: I take seriously the advice of those who know more than I do. AND
C: I found every single manual for every single marine engine have owned on this site without having to beg for it.

FYI I have fixed the following engines with advice from the generous and knowledgable users on this site without having to throw hundreds of dollars of parts at them:
1982 Mercury Classic 50 no spark, tested with DVA, switchbox replaced. Problem solved
1979 Mercruiser 140 (forgive me, I knew not what I bought) overheat problem, replaced heat exchanger. Problem solved. Boat traded for:
1988 Sea Ray Branded 135, no spark, replaced stator after DVA test. Problem solved. Recently replaced 1 switchbox after finally knowing what to look for after, hmmm..I dunno READING RELEVANT POSTS. (and the manual) Problem solved.

All this after not posting ONE SINGLE IDIOTIC THREAD ASKING FOR ADVICE AND THEN REFUSING TO TAKE IT.

Oh...and I need to mention the invaluable advice about the Radio Shack rectifier because, yea I'm a dumbass and occasionally get + and - mixed up.

Sorry for the rant. I just bugs me when people are just "more than capable" enough to make themselves dangerous.

Ether??!! Really??!! :) hehe

Props to this site and the amazing people who spend their time helping out (former)noobs like myself.

I'm on the water this weekend thanks to iboats.com. How bout you?