1980 80 hp mercury outboard stripped splines in crankshaft

ajaxcycle

Cadet
I have a 80 hp merc. That has stripped splines in the crank, everything else is good. Does anyone know of a quick repair?

M

Maxz695

Re: 1980 80 hp mercury outboard stripped splines in crankshaft

Is this as stated in the crankshaft side or the LU driveshaft?

ajaxcycle

Cadet

the crankshaft inner splines not the drive shaft itself

M

Maxz695

I know of no other repair than changing out the Crankshaft I,ve never done one yet, but there are many on this site that may. I wish I had better news. I don,t know if at the end of the crankshaft there is or is not a connection to the afected area so don,t give up hope just yet. Good luck. I just wanted to be sure the question was as stated. I did work in a transmission reclamation factory where they welded shafts and rechromed them did aliminum welding etc. I do beleive there is a process where they can weld and respline the shaft wheather or not this can be done without removing the shaft is beyond me. Might be worth looking into though.Try googling crankshaft repair see what you come up with. This is nothing more than smoke, but it is possible they might have some kind of sleeve that after preping the shaft can be pressed in.

How have you determined this? In my experience, due to the length of the drive shaft; it will break before stripping. But I could be wrong.

ajaxcycle

Cadet

I determined this by disassembly and visual inspection after water pump was replaced and still did not pump.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I going to ask so dont get upset, would it go in gear without slipping while running? If so splines are OK. If they are stripped you need to replace crankshaft.

ajaxcycle

Cadet

Thanks for asking, but I have disassembled the l/u and have visually inspected and verified that the splines in the crankshaft are stripped and the splines on the drive shaft are very worn. I am aware of the problem and am looking for any possible fixes or ideas.

Thanks, and Keep the Faith
17' Boston Whaler 80 HP Merc
14' Monarch Jon 9.8 HP Merc

I have never seen that? I don't think they make coupler adapters for Outboards ...score 1 for sterndrives.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for asking, but I have disassembled the l/u and have visually inspected and verified that the splines in the crankshaft are stripped and the splines on the drive shaft are very worn.
Ok the only way to repair this is to replace the crankshaft. While you have it down check cylinder clearances and if still in spec's throw a set of rings in it. If you have trouble finding a crank pm, me as I have several. You will need to replace the upper & lower bearing as these are not salvagable once removed. Also the driveshft should have the upside down roller bearing if original gear case and I likely got one of them too.......