Mercury 225 EFI Removed Prop no forward or reverse

skidog519

Seaman Apprentice
I had to remove my lower unit to have some work done on the seals on a Mercury outboard 2000 225 EFI. I put it back on with what appeared to be pretty easy but after I got everything bolted back up I put my ****er in forward and spun the prop and it does the same thing as it does in nuetral moves freely in both directions with no clicks and so does reverse. Where did I go wrong? Everything appeared to have lined up and slid back with ease but obviously something isnt right. I had the shifter in neutral removing and re installing the lower uinit. Any thoughts or what I need to do to correct it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 225 EFI Removed Prop no forward or reverse

I`d say you missed the splined shaft when you slid the lower up. Best to be in fwd when installing a lower.

skidog519

Seaman Apprentice

I actuially had one person tell me to make sure it was in forward and then the place I bought it from told me no neutral was ok. So if I drop it again should it be in forward before I drop it or neutral then forward after it is out and before I put it back up in there?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

outboards are slightly different than a I/O because the shift shaft is a lot longer.Being in fwd allows you to turn the prop counterclockwise to rotate the driveshaft into the powerhead. When you slide it up, be careful to locate the shift shaft onto the lower units splined shaft BEFORE YOU TIGHTEN THE BOLTS.needle nose pliers are helpful here

skidog519

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information, wow they make this difficult. How would you recomend I go about getting it corrected from here as far as removing it again?

When I drop it again should it be in forward before I drop it or neutral then forward after it is out and before I put it back up in there?

The only reason on an outboard to have it in FWD is so you can align the splines of the gearcase with the grooves of the crankshaft. I personally like to have it in N and use a remote starter to bump the splines into postion, just make sure your remote control handle is in the same poistion your gearcase is. You could have it in N if you have someone to turn the flywheel. Tomato/Tomotto. Just remember to grease the splines of the driveshaft and wipe any excess off the very top (hydro-lock), and don't forget the speedo hose.