Wanted some opinions on this '87 Mercury 25HP sale

shouse

Recruit
Looking at buying this outboard here:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/2333651982.html

It's a '87 Mercury 25HP w/ tiller, electric start. Claims the motor has less than 15hrs on it. Been sitting in storage it's whole life waiting to buy a boat he never did and now he needs money so he's selling it. He claims he started it twice a year.

As you can tell by the pictures it sure does look brand new. My questions are should I be concerned it's not what he claims? What can I do to make sure I'm getting a good deal? Is it even a good deal? Is this known to be a good motor? Typical general questions I guess anyone would want to know before purchasing a used motor.

thanks for any insight
Pete

M

Maxz695

Re: Wanted some opinions on this '87 Mercury 25HP sale

looks good I see muffs in the pic can you have him start it? That would be a good thing. I have a 40 HP 79 i,m not to firmiliar with this 25 hp but think what kind of boat your gonna put it on and if it,s big enough for it . Always make an offer lower than asking price see where he stands there. good luck PS you might consider bringing a compression gage and test the cylinder compression. That is crucial in determining if it,s good or bad

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

As Maxz695 has stated,I have a 1990 model of this engine bought new ($1900)with low hours and have had absolutely no problems with it.I just changed the water pump impeller this year because I was afraid the 20 year old rubber was worn out(it wasn't)but for $25,it is cheap insurance against failure.I have a 14' aluminum v-hull and it will do an honest 30mph with this motor on it.
Good luck,they are GOOD motors.Hope this helps.

shouse

Recruit

thanks guys. That's exactly what I was planning on putting it on, a 14' aluminum v-hull. Unfortunately I don't have a compression tester. I'm assuming I can find these local usually. About how much does one of these go for (tester)?

M

Maxz695

there not too expensive and a great tool to have around when things go wrong. also a must in determining if this engine is A+. Man that would stink get it home and find out you have bad compression not likely but who knows. why take the chance for that kind of money you can get one at any auto patrs store a 14 footer should do pretty good with this motor see ya out there in the geat wide open!!!!!

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Thats a 15" shaft (short shaft).....looks perfect though, awesome, fast motor. Your going to love it.