2005 merc 60hp 4 stroke alarm

pinboy122

Seaman
Hey all,My neighbors 05 efi 4 stroke started alarming a the end of last season.It is a continuous tone and
goes into safe mode at anything over an idle.There is a strong water stream from the tell tale so im leaning towards
some kind of oil related problem.I have searched the archives to no avail.Any help would be appreciated,thanks Al.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 merc 60hp 4 stroke alarm

A check of the owners manual should point out that this is an overheat alarm and that just because the water pump is working does not mean the engine is cooling properly. A thermostat that is stuck shut will cause an overheat at idle. A bypass valve stuck shut will cause overheat at higher rpm. I would also check the oil to see if it is milky looking indicating a possible head gasket issue or other mechanical problem such as a cracked head or block. It may be as simple as a bad temp sensor.

M

Maxz695

continuos alarm BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP is temp alarm beep beep beep is the oil sensor. you state that it does not go off until under power indicating the sensor is working. I would pull the thermostat and run without it to see if thats your problem. if without the thrmostata it still goes off you have a deeper issue

pinboy122

Seaman

ok,i was thinking about the alarms backwards,so i was thinking an oil problem.im going to start looking into it,thermostat temp sender etc.The oil
is full and clean so ill probably start with a back flush and go from there

If you can locate the oil pressure switch "K" put your meter lead on the wire and the other to the engine block, if you have continuity, you have low oil pressure or faulty oil pressure switch. This will cause constant alarm as well.

oil_pressure_switch.png

Swetzel

Recruit

A check of the owners manual should point out that this is an overheat alarm and that just because the water pump is working does not mean the engine is cooling properly. A thermostat that is stuck shut will cause an overheat at idle. A bypass valve stuck shut will cause overheat at higher rpm. I would also check the oil to see if it is milky looking indicating a possible head gasket issue or other mechanical problem such as a cracked head or block. It may be as simple as a bad temp sensor.

I am having this same issue, I posted a question but no responses :( I have ordered the thermostat, and waiting on one of the gaskets to come in, please tell me where the bypass valve is, I may change this as well if its possible. Eng S/N 1B004332 (60 4 stroke Bigfoot);
I am also going to change the Temp Sensor Assy PN 858535 and the fuel filter assy PN 879884T just to rule these items out.
Thanks,
Shad