1963 mercury 100hp tower of power no spark

sirhc976

Cadet
engine will turn over but no spark. i have manual i have checked readings in book i have checked most of wiring cant find problems any advice.

M

Maxz695

Re: 1963 mercury 100hp tower of power no spark

do the stator check and switchbox test in manuel

sirhc976

Cadet

ok so last night checked coils i have no voltage to coils even when key is on. If i turn the key the engine will crank over just fine, but no spark.

sirhc976

Cadet

ok i will do that thank you, i will do that tonight and let you know if i find anything

sirhc976

Cadet

i tested the stator and rectifier and switchbox all tested fine, iam at a loss this is driving me crazy helpme please

merc850

Commander

That motor has 2 sets of points, 2 coils, and 2 ballast resistors it is possible that the points are dirty here is a wiring diagramMerc-I-6-wiring.jpg to help troubleshoot any power supply issues
and here are 2 pages that describe the distributor
I6-distributor2.jpgI6-distributor-1.jpg,
I would test for power at the coil + side before tearing apart the dist.
Are you sure this is a 1963 year?

M

Maxz695

the engine will crank but still could be a bad ignition on switch or saftey kill switch not engaged if you have one, Disconnect the wirirng harness from boat to the engine and see if you get spark. please be carfeul as engine may start. Use pull cord or jump the starter. check to see if this fails the points condition flywheel keyway is not sheered off

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the mercury switch and retest. If still no spark take a test light or voltmeter and with key on check for voltage at both sides ballast resistors and positive side of coil. If you have no volts to resistors the keyswitch is bad. If you have volts check coils by removing negative wires, install a jumper wire to engine ground and tap it to neg side of coil. If it fires you have points shorted shut or dirty