115 hp Mariner tilt problem

blkhole

Recruit
Please, any suggestions. I have '91 Mariner, 115 hp with single cylinder tilt/trim. It is located on a lift over shallow water and really hard to work on. The hydraulic pump motor runs for both up and down operation, but the outboard motor will only tilt down. It acts as though the fluid is being trapped obove the piston. I have tried opening the bypass valve and the motor will sink downward, but cannot be raised. Its not because of a strength problem because I used a eight foot two by four. Need to get it on a trailer so that it can be disassembled. How can I release the motor so that I can tilt it up?

Engine344

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 115 hp Mariner tilt problem

Dumb question but is it full of fluid? The bypass "screw, valve, whatever you want to call it" SHOULD after being opened allow you to raise it by hand. It will not be easy because it is a heavy engine (as you know). I have in the past had to do this with the fill cap off....very messy.

RRitt

Captain
Re: 115 hp Mariner tilt problem

If you look on the port transom bracket you should find a hole that allows you to see the base of trim motor. You should see a big plastic flathead screw thing - almost an inch across. That is your manual release. Turn it 3-4 times counterclockwise and your engine should lift by hand. If the hydraulics do not release after letting out manual release then there are no easy answers that I know of.