Mercury inline 6 flywheel timing decal ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer
On my inline 6 (1978) the timing decal is kinda jacked up and I have searched high and low for a replacement.I know some parts a hard to come by,but my thinking leads me to believe that someone in the world would have these still laying around. Or was this an item that wasnt even replaceable from the start? I was hoping to find a new original one.:facepalm:

M

Maxz695

Re: Mercury inline 6 flywheel timing decal ???

wow for that price i,d take a picture and glue it to the flywheel if i where you

merc850

Commander

Have you tried a dealer I found one at one of mine. Say, didn't I sell you a coil last year???
Here's mine on '75 850
Timing-Decal.jpg

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Murray is that you?? I lost total interest in that 80hp.I hooked up with a guy down here in Yuma that use to work at the Marine shop that had a 1974 85hp inline 4 that was going to waste in his yard.He told me to come get it he had no use for it.Well it was in very bad shape so I decided to park it next to my 80hp.A few days later he called me and asked me if I would be interested in a 1978 90hp inline 6.It was still at the Marine shop and he didnt want to invest in getting it up and running again.Sure why not lets just add some more junk to my collection.Went down to the shop loaded her up in my truck and took her home.Come to find out she was still in pretty good shape in comparing to my other 2 heaps.Compression was good except #3.So I tore her apart to see.Piston rings were shot and a little scoring.A good honing, new piston rings slapped that puppy back together and she purrs like a kitty 135psi all the way down.No speed records but runs @ 5000 rpm,GPS 36MPH on a 1972 15 foot heavy trihull Starcraft.Thanks to Iboat forum and folks like you and many others it was possible for me to aquire the knowledge to be able to go boating.On another note comparing apples and oranges my buddy has a 125hp Mariner on a 17ft bayliner and I smoked him straight out of the hole.So those of you still running these older Mercs.(YOU JUST CANT BEAT EM )
And Murray I still owe you 50 bucks.:redface:

merc850

Commander

Sounds like you should raise that motor a bit and switch to a lower prop to get 5500 @ WOT.
Might get 40+ mph.
Too bad about the other motors, any good parts you could trade me (cap,rotor)?
Murray

Fredo1650

Recruit

Have you tried a dealer I found one at one of mine. Say, didn't I sell you a coil last year???
Here's mine on '75 850
View attachment 77772
Hello, can we find the original label .464 which is stuck on the flywheel because I no longer have this label Mercury 850 1975

MODERATOR EDIT: 12 year old thread . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.