mercury 402 electric choke?

Keithwpg

Seaman
i been looking around doing some searching but haven't come up with much. i have 1975 mercury 402, when i bought the boat it had controls with a push key for choke but no wires going to the motor and the only choke is a flip switch on the front of the motor, no electric choke solenoid. this is ok when i have 2 people in the boat but gets annoying when i am alone. i was just wondering if these motors came with an electric choke option? and what i would need to "upgrade" to the electric choke

carholme

Rear Admiral

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: mercury 402 electric choke?

You will need to find the electric choke setup, someone obviously ripped it off. Try johns old merc site, there is a want section, one of the boys on the board probably has what you need, you supply the wires :)

Keithwpg

Seaman

thanks guys i'm gonna look into this further. not sure which control box it is but it is a mercury box with 2 levers. the key that was on the box completly failed on me so i just have a another ignition switch hooked to it. i would just make a push button to control the choke

edit i must have been thinking of something else cause the control box i have is exactly like the one in that link with the push button on top

carholme

Rear Admiral

That's the same one I and many other people have Kieth, so you are halfway there.

Gerry

M

Maxz695

I saw a choke switch and plunger seperately on eBay yesterday do a search to find them also you will need the wires from the push key switch going to the motor

M

Maxz695

Mercury Choke Solenoid 1970-83 40 50 65 HP p/n 54293A5
1972 Mercury 402 40hp. Choke Plunger
and 1 more 1972 Mercury 402 40hp. Choke Solinoid
copy and paste into ebay search to see them

Last edited:
M

Maxz695

there are more but you,ll have to search ----> mercury hp choke

Keithwpg

Seaman

i actually found a place that has a used solenoid about 30 mins from my house! talk about luck. looking at the diagram from what i can see if i wire a push button (or flip) switch that will supply 12 volts to the solenoid it should function properly correct?

M

Maxz695

do you have the plunger with the choke soliniod if yes then i,m pretty sure yes your good to go. But i would use a pushbotton switch as apposed to a toggle

Keithwpg

Seaman

thats what i was thinking too only reason i thought of using the flip switch is cause i got an empty switch on my water proof switch panel on my dash thats fused. i will be picking the selenoid up next week sometime

M

Maxz695

the only thing about a flip is you might burn out the soleniod when you forget to turn it off

Keithwpg

Seaman

weird question but i was looking at my motor today and for the life of me i can't see where this solenoid would mount. anyone have a diagram or such?

M

Maxz695

View attachment 91202View attachment 91204View attachment 91203I,ll take a picture tommorro of mine if you still need it Update pictures and info The cylinder bolt under the top of the front mounting braket faces downwards the punger (Plastic arm} connects to the carb from there. dissasembly of the front mount braket will have to be undertaken. Here are some pictures to help you with this process.

Last edited: