Mercury 175 Xr2 Jet Drive Powerhead Swap question

Maxell

Recruit
First off sorry if this is the wrong spot for the post.

So I bought a 98 DeltaJet boat over the weekend, It comes with a stock Mercury 175XR2 (0E312302) Which thew a rod and blew half the block apart, I'm in search of a used powerhead and have some important questions as any errors can be very costly.

I've heard that although the powerhead is in the boat it is infact an Outboard, It is connected to a Jet Drive. I was informed that the Splines on the Jet Drive are different then that of the regular outboard and simply swaping one wouldn't work. I found a local who has another 175 powerhead from an outboard (0G913047) I used a website http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/us/parts-search.html#mr1375 to compare Crank part numbers and there is a difference. I'm not sure if that means the splines are different or if its just a different brand of crank or what. The bottom line is I want to know which powerheads can swap in with little effort. The Jet Drive Serial is (0E235127)

Is this spline issue real?

any help would be great!

Thanks,
Ryan

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 175 Xr2 Jet Drive Powerhead Swap question

The crank splines are the only difference in mechanical part of powerhead. You can take your crank if undamaged and install in the replacement powerhead.