Please double check me on this PTT part number?

Firewalker688

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to order a new PTT motor for my Mercury HP. It is a 4 cyl. The man at the marine shop quoted me a price and a completely different part number from what I got on the info page here.

I am not sure if the man at the marine shop is the same type guy who would go back to the back and get the spark plugs for the diesel pick up and the water pump for the VW bug.

Anyway, the motor is a 1984 with serial number of 5799325 Mercury HP 4 cyl.

I am showing the correct part to be the 6217 PTT motor. Am I reading it right? Just don't want to order the wrong one and the guy at the shop put the seed of doubt in my brain.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Please double check me on this PTT part number?

Scott;

You keep saying that it is a 4 cyl but not what horsepower the engine is. Is it a 50hp?

Gerry

Firewalker688

Seaman Apprentice

It is a 50........I had the hp up there and the spell check changed it to HP from 50hp. I should have just ignored it or not ran it. Thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering who I pissed off around here. Scott

carholme

Rear Admiral

Scott;

I doubt you upset anybody. However the s/n you have comes up as:

50 50 Classic 4-cyl 5531630 5949385 1981 USA

From here:

http://www.marinshopen.se/Motorer/O...Mercury2takt4cyl4085hp/tabid/487/Default.aspx

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/275.cfm

As the Arco p/n does not come up in the parts search engine, it is all over Google and here is one:

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page513.html

Gerry

RRitt

Captain

when i checked ebasicpower they show arco as not available. I would get the arco. then sierra brand. I have had bad luck with api products not setting the armature end play on prestolite series trim motors. But I have had horrible luck with chinese durability. I would definitely put arco at the top of my list. it will be worth a little extra effort to find them.

Firewalker688

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you to both of you. Are you saying the arco 6217 should be the one? I have found one for $140 which is pretty decent compared to other places. I really appreciate the response. Thanks again.

Firewalker688

Seaman Apprentice

OK, Believe it or not I still don't have this problem resolved. I decided to go from least expensive to most on the trial and error method. I have changed out the switch on the control. I changed out the solenoid on the PTT. Is it at all possible to set up one of these systems with only one solenoid? Everyone I have talked to tells me it has an up solenoid and a down. For the life of me I do not see another one on there. After changing the solenoid I get the same symptoms. PTT motor doesn't run. UP and Trailer will make solenoid click. Down does nothing. The thing I am wondering about is either the factory or previous owner has put what looks like expanding foam in the rear corners completely filling the areas. The 4 wires coming from the controls are encapsulated in the foam and it's very very firm. If there were two solenoids I would think you would find them on the same bracket or at least close. I thought about digging all of that foam out to see if there is another one burried but I question anyone who would do that to a part such as this. Good news is after installing the switch I do get (+) signal on all of the terminals of the pigtail. One thing that stumps me is although there is signal at the brown/wht stripe at the control there is no signal at the other end in the compartment. From what I have read the color code indicates it's a trim guage wire. I also find a similar wire under the console that has a ring terminal on it but not connected to anything. I know this is a rambling novel but I am trying to give as much info as I can to help figure it out.

Main question: Ever see one with only one solenoid?

I am thinking about finding some more wire and jumping around the foamed in area and going straight to the pigtail that plugs into the side of the PTT motor. Reasonable?

FYI I did bypass the trim limit switch as it was crumbling.

I assume there are no circuit breakers in this system or if there is I can't find them. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it. Thanks. Good boating!!!

Firewalker688

Seaman Apprentice

I finally got the PTT pump in and it works like a champ. Thank you to all who took an interest in my problem and helping with it. I really appreciate it.

Scott