THATS ODD *89 Mariner 50hp ignition wiring question*

rook313

Recruit
I have a 1989 Mariner 50hp 3cyl outboard that I am in the process of changing the switch box. Well I noticed last night while working on the motor that I have a situation that caught me off guard. I wish I would have snapped a pic but I will have to try and describe what I have. NOTE: I have owned the motor for around a year and until the switch box went out last week have never had an issue with the motor or the ignition. On the switch box you have the three (green or a combination including green) wires that go from the box to the three different colis. You also have three black wires going from other "ground" post on the coils to a ground. Well one of my coils is wired in reverse. The green wire coming from the switch box is on the ground post and the black ground wire is on what I would say to be the hot post. It has apparently been like this since I have owned the motor as I have done nothing concerning the ignition until now. Is this suppose to be this way? Apparently it does not hurt the motor cause I have put alot of hours on the boat since last year. Just curious, should I change to match the other two or "If it aint broke dont fix it".

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: THATS ODD *89 Mariner 50hp ignition wiring question*

Change it... Although it will work the 'wrong way round', the spark polarity is wrong. This will cause the spark plugs to wear the wrong way. It could lead to problems later.

Chris.......

rook313

Recruit
Re: THATS ODD *89 Mariner 50hp ignition wiring question*

Thank you sir, I will do just that.