1966 Mercury 650 Help Putting Back Together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1966 Mercury 650. The guy I bought if from said it ran great but I never saw it run. I picked it up for $100 so I wasn't too worried about it. A couple things inside the cover are loose and there is a cup of random bolts and stuff that came with it. I have a manual and was going to tackle this myself but I'm considering dropping it off to a real mechanic for peace of mind. So..my questions is how much is an average rebuild? Assuming compression is good and no huge problems. Basically, seals, impeller, fluids, putting the bolts where they need to be, etc.

Thanks for the help! :cool:

uppercowl3.jpg

merc850

Commander
Re: Average cost for rebuild?

If you could post some pictures with the cowling off - of the front. starboard and port and give us the comp. readings and the LU grease condition then we could give you an analysis. I'll bet that the wiring is brittle and needs replacing for a start.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

these motors are well within the range of a garage diyer to do things like that. I completely redid the ignition and fuel systems of my inline 6 this winter. I'm 19, but have quite a bit of mechanical knowledge-mostly car motas tho. Anyway, if you feel comfortable changing oil in a car, and know your way around a timing light, etc, you will be fine.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice looking 650. When I got my 1965 Merc 500, I put around 50 bucks into it. I replaced the plugs, lower unit shift shaft seal, water pump impeller, fuel pump (kit), LU gear oil, and a few wires and misc gaskets. I also cleaned the points and tuned things to spec. I've used it two seasons (40+ trips to the lake) since that work without any issues. Hopefully your motor runs good and requires little work too.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you could post some pictures with the cowling off - of the front. starboard and port and give us the comp. readings and the LU grease condition then we could give you an analysis. I'll bet that the wiring is brittle and needs replacing for a start.

Roger that, will do. The internal wire harness is pretty beat up. New ones are pricey so I was going to fix that myself.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

these motors are well within the range of a garage diyer to do things like that. I completely redid the ignition and fuel systems of my inline 6 this winter. I'm 19, but have quite a bit of mechanical knowledge-mostly car motas tho. Anyway, if you feel comfortable changing oil in a car, and know your way around a timing light, etc, you will be fine.

Nice that sounds gravy. I've worked on many different auto engines (added nitrous to a few ;>)), just never an outboard.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking 650. When I got my 1965 Merc 500, I put around 50 bucks into it. I replaced the plugs, lower unit shift shaft seal, water pump impeller, fuel pump (kit), LU gear oil, and a few wires and misc gaskets. I also cleaned the points and tuned things to spec. I've used it two seasons (40+ trips to the lake) since that work without any issues. Hopefully your motor runs good and requires little work too.

$50 sounds good to me!!! :) You can see that other 1963 650 Merc in the background. The guy swapped a few parts off it which is why the 66 is not fully put together. Guess it's time to play hunt and peck with the bucket o' bolts.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get yourself a service manual and study it. Take a look at all of the ignition etc.. look at where stuff goes, it really isnt that complicated and it is easy to pick up on. They really arent anything more than a multiple cylinder chainsaw.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tested the compression and it came out to (1,2,3,4) 119, 121, 121, 121. The internal wiring is completely shot. I hooked it back up minus a few wires, sprayed some starting fluid, and it fired right up on the first pull. I tried hooking up the controls and jumped my truck battery to the terminals but got nothing. My multi-meter grew legs so I couldn't see what's up.

westjr8

Seaman Apprentice

PSI,
I noticed in your last post you mentioned you used starting fluid. Just a little future reference, DO NOT use that stuff in your outboard, especially one of that age! That junk is no good in marine engines and can land you in a world of trouble real quick! But best of luck on your rebuild! Post if you have any more questions.

westjr8

Seaman Apprentice

Just to add, so you know, starting fluid is meant to be used on 4-stroke engines only. It has no lubricating properties whatsoever, so in a 2 stroke, you can easily burn out a piston!

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice pic psiclown,I have been studying up and working on a late 60's 65 hp merc, yours I believe has the points which is a common wear out part, make sure you get a manual if your doing maintenance, there were several ignition changes between 1966 and 1969, not easy to figure out without instructions and tools!! You may find the hardest part is undoing what has already been put together wrong.

Check the lower end drive shaft splines and grease, they will rust, turn to dust and wear out, if you can get faztbullit's attention or one of the experts they can save you a lot of time.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just to add, so you know, starting fluid is meant to be used on 4-stroke engines only. It has no lubricating properties whatsoever, so in a 2 stroke, you can easily burn out a piston!

That makes sense, I'll steer clear of the ether moving forward. :)

nice pic psiclown,I have been studying up and working on a late 60's 65 hp merc, yours I believe has the points which is a common wear out part, make sure you get a manual if your doing maintenance, there were several ignition changes between 1966 and 1969, not easy to figure out without instructions and tools!! You may find the hardest part is undoing what has already been put together wrong.

Check the lower end drive shaft splines and grease, they will rust, turn to dust and wear out, if you can get faztbullit's attention or one of the experts they can save you a lot of time.

Roger that, thanks for the info. :)

I replaced most of the internal harness today. Shrink wrapped everything.

mercnewwiring.jpg

Can someone help me place this rectifier? I can't find a picture in the manual.

MercRectifier.jpg

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok a couple more questions. I've been staring at the wiring diagram and I am now permanently cross-eyed. Looking for help with the wires with arrows.

mercundercover1.jpg

And where does this hose go?

mercundercover2.jpg

I still have no idea where the rectifier goes. Not a big deal but any advice?

Thanks for the help!

Mi duckdown

Commander

psiclown. If you have an (OEM Merc repair/service Manual,) you should have No problem repairing anything on this motor.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

psiclown. If you have an (OEM Merc repair/service Manual,) you should have No problem repairing anything on this motor.

I Have a SELOC manual. Since there are a bunch of motors lumped together in this thing, it's difficult finding exactly what I'm looking for.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Exactlty.
You Need A MERC Service/Repair Manual.
If you love that motor? Throw that Seloc in your next campfire.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys

The selocs are nice to have for back-up, has lots of wiring diagrams of other engines and other stuff that span more than one year which is good. Might pick up a motor and not have the MERC manual yet , have a friend ask a question about his motor, or people ask about wiring here. BAM Seloc to the rescue. Plus the sections before they get into the 'meat and potatoes of each motor, Saftey , Tuning and Maintenance sections they have cool info to help the first time boater and seasoned one alike .

But I agree if you want to focus on a single engine and want less searching in the book, grab the MERC Service/Repair. 100% info on each spot of the motor. But like you said because of the generalization in the Seloc , they just skim the surface of each motor most of the time.
I wouldn't throw it in the fire tho. :)

DamianJP

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just downloaded a 5 dollar factory manual. Let's see what's in this one. :)

Mi duckdown

Commander

DamianJP. I may have over done it with the Seloc comment.

But when you have an Older Merc , only the Orig Manuals are the way too go.
Ebay is the best place to find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.