Mariner 1987 115 problem

Just got a call from a friend who's having running problems with this engine. He's bringing it by as soon as the kicker gets him back to the dock. The 115 runs good for about a mile, starts bogging down then dies. I will then just start and continue dying. It was in the shop recently for this problem. Many air leaks were found in the boat's fuel system which were fixed and it ran fine at the shop. This was the first time out since bringing home from the shop. I've asked if the bulb is hard and he says yes. Any ideas what to look for? I'm thinking electrical, after it gets hot something is breaking down? I won't know anything till I look at it but sometimes it something simple. Engine was completely rebuilt and has about 30 to 40 hrs on it.

Re: Mariner 1987 115 problem

Stuck a glass jar under the carbs and pulled the drains.....................water in the fuel. Pumped fuel from tank into the jar, lots of water. Hooked up another tank with fresh gas, no problems now. Back on the water tomorrow and see what happens.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the effects of Ethanol.......Every boat should have a water separator on it...Every boat I own has a Racor which I feel is the best with a clear bowl. It also has a drain valve to get rid of the water...Running a boat this way without water separation is a sure way to blow it up.. Look on Ebay and see all of the parts that are available due to people running old fuel, clogged carbs etc...Timing should be retarded 2 degrees on all motors to protect them from pinging that cannot be heard and blowing holes in pistons.. Happening everday yet people don't know how to protect their motors on the horrible fuel we have now adays...

We discussed that after I found the water. He does have a water separater inline. It's not a Racor and has no drain, I think you replace the filter. I also told him of a place to get non-ethanol fuel. It left here running good, he was going to clean out fuel tanks when he got home and put it back in the water today. I'm sure I'll get a call soon and know if all is well!

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Let us know if the water was the problem....Goggle Ethanol problems and you need a week to read up on it...bottom line is the phase separation aspect and the fact that on boats, they are vented sucking in moisture and creating the problems... I just gave away over 100gallons of gas from last year out of 5 boats that I couldn't burn...bad planning on my side but I won't run it...My friend put it in his 22R Toyota Truck...it loves it even the oil that is mixed 32/1 from my racing Bridgeport...I hate to add the cost of fuel and oil I just gave away but the Bridgeport is too expensive to rebuild! So is the 115 four stroke on the pontoon boat!!

panther0876

Recruit

This is exactly what is going on with a boat I am working on. It will start fine, make 2 runs around the lake (its a small lake) then bogs down and dies. Its a pain to restart but once you get her going you can normally limp it back in to the dock. I pulled the plugs and see that they are oil damp. We are running a 50 to one mix. We leaned the mix out a bit and got a few more laps in but then did the same thing. What will the gas oil mix look like if water is in the there? Will it be a milky white? If we put a fuel water separator in it will the rest of the tank be ok or should we start over?Thanks for the help on this we where about ready to do reed valves and hope for the best.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

It will not be milky...Google Ethanol as it explains what is happening and the detrimental effects when you suck up off the bottom of the tank, water and no octane gas that has phase separated...

Update: The tanks were cleaned and dried, fresh gas and still having problems. It went to a second shop, a couple weeks and $200. Back on the water and still having problems. So I managed to free up some time to check this thing out. I pulled all three carbs and cleaned them thoroughly. Put it back together fired it up on the garden hose and proceeded to set all three carbs. Next time out last spring it ran perfectly and is doing so to this day. One thing I know for sure, he will not be taking his boat back to either one of these shops!