Need help with connecting wires back to starter solenoid

Jerimy240

Recruit
I have a 65hp 1965 mercury. I disconnected the wiring from the starter solenoid, starter, and engine and I don't know how to put it back together. Does anyone have a picture? I've looked at a few wiring diagrams, but can't follow the schematics too well. I should have taken a picture before I started but I didn't. Hindsite 20/20

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help with connecting wires back to starter solenoid

should be big wire from starter positive to closest big lug on solenoid..... big constant hot to other big wire....
key hot to same side as constant hot but lil screw instead of bolt.... ground to other lil one

solenoids for the most part dont care about polarity from my exp.... electric field causes megnetic field which causes it to close contacts... power then goes through contacts. You may well wish to wait for one more exp than I, for confirmation of what I said.

your wires should still have bends and what not to help you out with this.

Sean

Jerimy240

Recruit

Didn't really understand what you said, but here are some pics. In regards to the solenoid specifically, if you're looking at the motor from the boat:
1. I think the thick red wire goes to the far left terminal
2. A thinner wire coming from the same spot as the thick red wire goes on the skinny terminal next.
3. The third terminal from the left (which is also skinny) has a thin wire connected to it but I don't know where it goes.
4. I found that the thick black wire on the far right doesn't go up to the far right of the motor. It actually goes back under the solenoid to the middle of the starter.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

merc850

Commander

4cyl wiring.jpg
Here's the Mercury manual diagram - in addition to the wires I can see you also need a ground strap going to the choke solenoid and magneto. And the large black cable coming off the starter solenoid should be attached to a terminal bolt on the starter.
029.jpg

Jerimy240

Recruit

Thanks merc850! I bought this boat for $200 last year. Spent $400 at a boat shop to get it running. Took it out one time. I let it set up for a year with gas in it. The water oxidized and now I've been cleaning the fuel system. I finally got fuel to fill the carb. bowls and becuase of your reply I can get the motor to turn over now. Unfortunately the sprayers for the carb aren't spraying fuel, so I guess I have to take both carbuerators off, take them apart to totally clean it so fuel can get to the sprayers. I've tried carb cleaner but still can't get them unclogged. The motor will hit when I spray ether in the carbs, but that's it. Any advice? This is my first time working on a boat motor and with a carbuerator indepth.

merc850

Commander

Don't use ETHER use a spritz of gas/oil mix!

Here's a quick way to check carb flow: remove the Hi speed jet covers and the Lo speed needles (carefull of the LS springs) then tilt the motor up and pump the attached primer bulb and watch for gas coming out of the holes. This should clear any crap out of the passages. Reinstall the covers and Lo speed needles 1 3/4 turns out.
Tilting the motor with the fuel line connected can also help.

Jerimy240

Recruit

Thanks man, I appreciate your help. I won't be able to work on the motor unitil this weekend due to work. So hopefully I'll get to try this Saturday morning. In regards to your reply, I'm going to do some research to determine what the hi speed jet covers and Lo speed needles actually are. Thanks for the advice on the gas/oil mix.

Jerimy240

Recruit

after some research a moment ago, I learned that I've removed the hi speed jet covers (I thought they were called drain plugs) and I've all ready gotten gas to come out of the holes using the primer bulb. Now I guess I'll remove the low speed needles Saturday. Will gas come out of their holes?