Mercury 15 HP 4 Stroke Question

FIB

Recruit
I bought a 15hp 4 stroke Mercury 4 years ago and someone told me it was made my Yamaha. How can I tell?

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 15 HP 4 Stroke Question

If the engine is four years old, then I promise you it was part of the Yamaha Mercury joint venture period.

FIB

Recruit

Thanks sxmerc for the information!

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I thought that it was made by tohatsu. I think they use the same block to get to 30hp. Cams and injection are changed to get there

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

The current model 25 and 30's share a common powerhead, and are made by Tohatsu for Mercury. I may be incorrect in my stating that a 4 year old 15 fourstroke was made by Yamaha, but earlier 15 and 9.9 fourstokes WERE Yamaha's. I need to check to see when Tohatsu started making these motors for Mercury. On a side note, all Mercury motors 30 horsepower and under, are NOW all built by Tohatsu. I think I may stand corrected Star, hats off to you.

FIB

Recruit

The current model 25 and 30's share a common powerhead, and are made by Tohatsu for Mercury. I may be incorrect in my stating that a 4 year old 15 fourstroke was made by Yamaha, but earlier 15 and 9.9 fourstokes WERE Yamaha's. I need to check to see when Tohatsu started making these motors for Mercury. On a side note, all Mercury motors 30 horsepower and under, are NOW all built by Tohatsu. I think I may stand corrected Star, hats off to you.

How can an novice tell if the motor is made by Yamaha or Tohatsu?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If it's a 2007 model, then it's a Tohatsu..

FIB

Recruit

I don't know ANYTHING about Tohatsu. How doe they compare to Yamaha?

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Their small motors have actually been pretty decent. Beyond that, I couldn't really say.