1987 200 hp. mariner not pumping water

tony11905

Seaman
i have a 200 hp. mariner that is not pumping any water starts runs fine fine but doesnt pump water, thought it might be the impeller so replaced it still nothing , then i removed the thermostats because they were all junk still no water ,the only thing i can think of could it be the pottet valve is no good and is that why im not getting water pupming through the motor, and if it is the poppet valve can i remove it and try it with out it in there or will that mess up the motor im at a loss dont know what eles to check please help if you can

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 200 hp. mariner not pumping water

No water while running on a hose, or while in the water? How did the old impeller look? Did you put ALL the gaskets back in the water pump assembly correctly, and undamaged? Did you get the water tube aligned and engaged with the water pump housing when you put the lower unit back on? Is there anything blocking the water pickups on the lower unit? Start with the basic checks, then post your results and you can go from there.

tony11905

Seaman

im running it off a garden hose with the muffs, the old impeller was not in bad shape everything looks clear , what about the POPPET VALVE?

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

First of all, you may not get any water out of the tell tale while on the muffs until the thermostats open up, so there is a good chance that the motor is moving water, but if you're watching for pee stream water, you may not see anything right away. If there is water pouring out of the prop hub while running, you know it's pumping; if no water from the prop, then your issue lies elsewhere. If the poppet valve was completely frozen up, or missing all together, it has no bearing on whether or not the motor pumps water. A stuck poppet valve would overheat the motor at higher RPM's, and a missing or torn poppet diaphragm would make the motor run cold at low speeds. Either way, it has no bearing on whether or not the motor is MOVING water. Check to see if you got water from the prop hub, or exiting the gearcase around the prop shaft. If not, then you can dig back into it.

tony11905

Seaman

there are no thermostats , and i didnt see any water coming from the prop hub, whats my next step? thanks for the help by the way

nbnewbie

Seaman

the previous replys are right on. Strange that there's no water from prop hub. Dumb question but are you sure there is a supply of water from the hose with a fair amount of volumn? Next I think I would check lower unit lube, if "milky" I would check the water pump base and seal. Just a thought! Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

j_martin

Admiral

there are no thermostats , and i didnt see any water coming from the prop hub, whats my next step? thanks for the help by the way

Only two tracks from here.

1. You're blind as a bat
2. You messed up the water pump job.

hope it helps
John

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Are you SURE that you got the KEY in place to turn the impeller?