1967 6hp mercury shift shaft reinsertion problem

wesw281

Recruit
I have a 67 merc 6hp. When I replaced the impellar the shifting shaft came out of the lower unit. Now it won't shift. I can see the "gear" thru the oil drain plug. I cannot get this gear back on it's side. The shaft will not go all the way down because this gear won't go back. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1967 6hp mercury shift shaft reinsertion problem

You can't get the shift rod back in because it can't be done with the lower unit assembled. You must take the propshaft and gears out to get the shift rod back in. The small cam that the shift rod slides into is now loose inside the front of the gearcase - pushed aside by the spring loaded plunger in the fore of the propshaft. That plunger is what keeps you from being able to realign things while assembled. A manual would be a good investment at this point...

wesw281

Recruit

Thanks. Any sugesstions where a manual can be purchased?

OkieNTexas

Cadet

Hey Chine:
I have another question for you...I just dropped the lower unit to change out the impeller and am now having a hard time getting the shifter spline to line up. I can get it to stab but when I do, the shifter shifts real easy but the prop stays in forward. I can't get it to stab in any other position......Keep stabbing until I get it? You helped me tremendously on the kill switch problem....I figured you're the man. BTW....stupid kill switch harness was NLA.....I guess I'm just going to do a universal momentary switch to the terminal block.
Shawn