Small hole in 1969 Mercury

waunakoenig

Cadet
I have a 1969 Mercury 100 HP in line 6.
Last fall when I replaced the lower unit lube I noticed some fluid leaking out of a small hole in the lower unit. See arrow in photo. What does this mean? Is it an easy fix or disaster? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Small hole in 1969 Mercury

Sir;

That weep hole is primarily for water drainage to prevent freezing but it also acts a catch point for lower unit oil which is leaking past the shift shaft seal.

Here is a picture of my engine but similiar to yours. Scroll down to item 41which is the seal housing for the shift shaft seal. The seal is inside this housing.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/437_19.cfm

If you provide the s/n of your engine, I will try to get you a parts listing for it.

This is not a difficult repair but you will have to remove the lower unit to accomplish it.

Gerry

waunakoenig

Cadet
Re: Small hole in 1969 Mercury

Thanks Gerry. So you're saying the hole is supposed to be there? and the fact that fluid is leaking out means that the seal is bad and needs to be replaced? sn is 2399810. Joe

Rickshepherd

Recruit
I have a 7.5 hp Merc with similar hole. I have gassy smelling mixture leaking from the same hole. Unburnt gas? Too rich mixture? Bad rings?
Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome Rick. This is an old thread and it has had no activity in quite a while. Please look at the Help Tips on top of the page and start a new topic. Thanks.