mercury 200-20hp Need Pic of switchbox wiring diagram

boomer2001

Cadet
I bought a mercury 200-20hp, the prev owner had bought new switchbox, but forgot were the wires were attached. Does and one have a pic or diagram of were they go? the serial #4290409 is the only number i can find on the engine plate. I do not know year, assuming its a 80's. I would greatly appreciate any help. thanks boomer

boomer2001

Cadet
Re: mercury 200-20hp Need Pic of switchbox wiring diagram

Gerry

Thank you, got the wires hooked up and engine started. The switch box has a soft spot on the outside that seems to have heated up and engine now will stop. If i let it set it will fire up and then stop again. Does this mean i need to find another switch box? Thanks boomer

In addition. If i put gas in cyclinders it will fire right up and run till gas is gone, So does this mean i need to rebuild carb or just clean every thing in it and also fuel pump. I know it may sound stupid, even after i typed it but i just want to make sure iam not just doing things and that not be the problem. Thanks again boomer

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: mercury 200-20hp Need Pic of switchbox wiring diagram

Without knowing anything else about the maintenance done (why he ordered a switchbox), if it is running with fuel and shutting off when fuel runs out, I would start with the fuel system.

- Are you able to pump up good pressure with the bulb?

If not, I would repair the fuel pump and it would be a good idea to have the carbs cleaned.

Do you know how long it has been since the engine ran normally as it might be wise to get some other regular maintenance items done.

Gerry

Last edited: