86' Mariner 30 HP Basic Questions s#689 s 108840

surfcaster1

Recruit
I've had this boat and motor for 2 months and this is a condensed version of what I'm going through. The engine is just not running right and sputters sometimes. I fouled the plugs after 3 hour runtime on 3 short trips.

After some research, I found that my 86' Mariner is really a Yamaha. Problem is, the Seloc Mariner manual I bought says the plug gap is .024, the Yamaha spec say's .035-.039? The plugs I replaced that were in the engine when I bought it were set at .037. What is the right gap? I have spark.

Also, what is the correct oil ratio, 50:1 or 100:1...I mixed closer to 100:1 and it fouled the plugs. What is best oil for this older motor, Quicksilver or Pennzoil Premium Plus synthetic blend (TC-W3)?

Engine has good compression. I've replaced the whole fuel system except the carb and i put a kit in it....Replaced fuel pump, tank, hose and bulb, engine fuel hoses, cleaned filter in solvent, pumps fuel fine..

I have fresh fuel in the tank with no oil added yet, have new NGK plugs, just need some advice...Thanks, Tom