Fuel Pump Sparking - Mercury 2000 75hp 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwater25

Recruit
I had a few concerns that I came across while flushing my engine out last night. I had the top crowl off the engine taking a look to make sure things looked okay, but while the boat was idling it seemed to be back firing. While looking at the fuel pump while the engine seemed to back fire there was a spark that came out of the line coming from the block and the second was where the line entered the fuel pump from the block.

I know pressure coming from the piston opens the valve in the fuel pump to force new fuel to the carbs, but wasn't aware it was supposed to spark around the line fittings coming into the pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fuel Pump.jpg

cr2k

Captain
Re: Fuel Pump Sparking - Mercury 2000 75hp 2 stroke

The lines coming from the block, are they the real small diameter ones? These are the re-circ lines to recirculate oil in the engine. If they are bad or cracked your engine will backfire. Trace all of them down to make sure they are all in good condition and attached to the nipples on the block and manifold. You can replace them with vacuum lines from the auto parts store. They are 1/16 in 3/32 in or similar size.

Blackwater25

Recruit
Re: Fuel Pump Sparking - Mercury 2000 75hp 2 stroke

Thanks for the advice! With the engine back firing do you believe air is getting in the line somewhere? I was thinking the engine was running rich and the excess fuel in the piston chamber is causing more of an explosion than normal pushing the spark/flame out the hole, just a thought?

Jay1

Recruit
Sorry to dig up a very old thread but in having the exact same problem as the op and wondered if it had been sorted?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry to dig up a very old thread but in having the exact same problem as the op and wondered if it had been sorted?

Please start a new thread. None of the posters, including the OP, have visited the forum in quite some time.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.