225 optimax feul consumption

ryan p

Cadet
i would like to know if anyone has a 2010 or newer 225 optimax and its fuel consumption at W.O.T. i am considering buying one in april after i sell my gass hog. (225 efi)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 225 optimax feul consumption

Fuel consumption on any engine depends on several factors so there is no set number. Boat size, hull type, load, water conditions, are just a few of those factors. However, you can bank on somewhere between 20 and 25 gallons per hour at WOT. Probably closer to 22 g/hr.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Ditto

HP = HP = HP

It takes a set amount of fuel to make a HP.

I'm afraid the only way you are going to increase fuel efficiency is to upgrade from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ditto

HP = HP = HP

It takes a set amount of fuel to make a HP.

I'm afraid the only way you are going to increase fuel efficiency is to upgrade from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke motor.

At wide open throttle there is little difference between an EFI/DFI two stroke and an EFI four stroke fuel economy. And the two stroke will likely be pushing the boat faster at equivalent RPMs across the board. The four strokes do tend to be a little less thirsty at slower speeds but that's not what the OP asked.

ryan p

Cadet

I am looking for real numbers not a guess.Any one can guess.I would like numbers from a fuel flow meter.Most peiple i have talked to in the past said they are very easey on fuel.Butt never found anyone with a fuel flow meter.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you do not need a fuel flow meter to know how much gas you use...and as silver said many things can cause variance in fuel consumption..If you are changing motors just to save on fuel..i would like to point out that it may take you many years to recoup the cost of upgrading with savings in fuel..there is a web site where they test various motors on various hull..i will try to find it and post the link..it is very informative, gives fuel consumption at different RPMs. here is the link for yammy
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/perfbull.aspx
here is the merc link
http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/outboards/

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Alright sir, here is a challenge. Fill the tank of your car and make a 60 mile trip consisting of any mix of conditions you like. Fill the tank again and now ask your son, daughter, wife, neighbors wife, or whomever to make the same exact trip. Bets are the two trips are off by at least 2 miles/gallon. How you drive, where you drive and what you drive will determine what fuel consumption rate is on any engine driven vehicle including a boat. I happen to have spent a great deal of time with a fuel flow monitor on my walleye boat and the 10% of rated HP figure is very accurate. At WOT it doesn't matter if the engine is carbed, EFI, DFI, four stroke or two stroke. You asked, and we told you. Very few people have a fuel flow meter because they simply don't need one or have no interest in what their economy is because they knew when they bought the boat that these are not economy champs and therefore keep their wallets handy for fuel fills. You indicate you currently have a 225 gas hog. Buying a new engine of the same HP will do little to nothing toward paying for itself or saving you any significant amount of fuel if you have to run anything over 5/8 throttle. Low speed perhaps a bit of savings. WOT throttle = little to none. As a matter of fact, I've seen test reports (Yamaha in this example) where the carbed two stroke had generally better fuel consumption numbers than the four stroke. Yes -- it does happen and it was their test, not mine.

My fuel flow monitor -- that's 9 gallons in the tank, not gallons/hour.

FuelComputer.jpg

ryan p

Cadet

thanks for all of the information.butt in my book 17-20gph is a for cry from 28-31gph.i have talked to plenty people who runs optimax's weather work or play they are alot easer on feul than EFI's.i do beleave the carb motors are more easey on fuel than EFI's.anyway why buy a 225 and use only 150 of the horses.thanks again just my way of looking at things.i will post fuel consumtion numbers as soon as i get the new optimax.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Who cares about fuel consumption? 17 -20 or 28 - 31 both are TERRIBLE like all outboards. I do agree with why have the extra poines if you're not going to use them, so go ahead and nail it. But on the other hand if you're spending 14K + on an outboard what's a few hundred for fuel. Gasoline is made to burn and outboards do a GREAT job of it.

SparkieBoat

Captain

if you are expecting %40 less fuel consumption..you are going to be very disappointed..what does a new 225 optimax cost?? $15000 maybe..that would buy many years of fuel.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Before making a very large investment in a new motor, perhaps you should take a look at your boat set up, weight, and performance expectations.

Overall weight of your boat, how you have it usually loaded, can have a major impact on fuel use, as well as the speed at which you intend it to operate.

Some of the guys in the Prop forum have access to some very good methods of calculating hp/speed/fuel usage.

Engine HP goes hand in hand with fuel usage, power demands fuel, 10% of the HP. Period.

Carb, EFI, or Opti, a 225 of ANY type will use very close to the SAME amount of fuel as the others on the SAME boat hull and weighted load.

Buying a new motor in hopes of saving money on fuel is never cost effective until you first maximize your boat/motor set-up, i.e., toss out all the excess weight.

Hopefully you will look into this a LOT more.

If a dealer is pushing you into this so called 'improvement', find yourself a truthful dealer.

glastronomic

Seaman

You could very well be in a possition to have spend $15000 to save +/- $200 a year in your fuel bill.
Like the other forum members typed, the dealers are always trying to sell a new engine by pointing to fuel consumpion figures.
Same in the motorcar industry, where the same trick is played.

ryan p

Cadet

i purchaced a new 250 optimax in march i do not get 40% better fuel economy i burn less than 40% of the 225 efi i had.I also have more power and more responce with a heavier load.One more thing i am a comerical fisherman on weekends and days off.I put about 25-30 hours a weekend on that beast.I average 3.5 gallons per hour running 5000 rpm for 2 hours and pushing 16' skimmers 10 hours a night.I am very impressed with the fuel economy and power.This motor is paying for itself.

57Cadilac

Cadet

Wow! you should contact Mercury. They think their 2011 Optimax 225's are more in the range of 13 - 17 gph running 5000rpms. 4 times better fuel economy is a real feat. And on a working boat. Get real man. You couldn't get 3.5 gallons per hour if you were on a pair of skis with that motor strapped to your back. That would put my 20' SeaOx, with 100 gallon tank, range at about 1000 miles. That would be nice. :D

ryan p

Cadet

I forgot to mention i push my skimmers at 2000-2200 rpm for 10 hours a night not 5000 rpm i would not keep the frames on the boat if i did .I would prove it to anyone who does not believe it.I have one and have no reason to lie about it.