Mercury/Quicksilver relationship

Shipley

Cadet
I've got a '59 Crosby that I picked up at an auction. There's no motor on it but there is a Quicksilver control unit on it with what looks like a Mercury hookup. I'm trying to renovate the boat to what I hope will be "period" condition. My question is does (or did) Mercury and Quicksilver have some type of alliance back in 1959 or thereabouts? This would help me decide what brand motor to look for. Also if anyone has a line on a '59 motor that would also be helpful. Thanks.
Shipster

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury/Quicksilver relationship

Gee, Isn't Quicksilver the name of the brand for aftermarket Mercury parts. i.e. I think if you buy Mercury oil at walmart, it is in a Quicksilver bottle, no? I thik it is still Mercury stuff.

Powercat

Cadet

Quicksilver is a brand name that Mercury marketed their accessories under. Steering (Ride Guide, another Mercury brand), controls, gauges, props, and many others. Some of the Quicksilver products were used on motors other than Mercury, but I don't think the controls were. Most likely if it
had Quicksilver controls, then it had a Mercury motor. But a 1959 Crosby could have any brand motor from that period and be correct. Motors were
not provided by boat manufacturers back in those days. The dealers sold the brand of motor they had, did the installation and rigging.

merc850

Commander

Does it look like this?ACCESSORIES CATALOGPage 7.jpg
The shift and throttle cables will fit motors into the 60's but the electrical plugs were different for motors and years. Quicksilver is the olde tyme name for the element mercury.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

one in the same. Mercury parts are called quicksilver. In Chemistry, quicksilver is another name for mercury... hence the name choice.

Shipley

Cadet

Thanks everyone. Powercat, there is a Ride Guide steering wheel and merc850, the throttle control looks exactly like the one you posted. It makes me feel much better in that I believe that the boat, along with the hardware, has all original equipment. The power cable is round with about 5 or 6 holes in it. Would this confirm that a Merc was on it? If so I will probably narrow my search to finding a period Mercury to put on it. On another note, I am new to iboats and I'm not terribly computer savvy but is there a link here in the forums by which I can learn how to post jpegs or pix of some sort? Any help would be much appreciated. Again, thanks.
Shipster