1969 merc 650 stuck in forward gear

69merc650

Cadet
Recently put a new impeller in my 1969 merc 650 with the thunderbolt ignition. After stabbing the lower unit back in it failed the shift tests. well we didnt know at the time, so we took it out to the water hose and fired it up. it started just fine, but the prop was in reverse, and when we shifted into forward it still stayed in reverse. so we dropped the lower unit again, after reading many posts on here, we messed with the lower shift shaft and found that there were 3 detents that it woul stop in. F, N, R. forward on the shift shaft had about 270 degrees of freeplay as the forums said., then there was N, and reverse. And yes i turned the shift shaft counterclock wise to get from F to N to R. then back clockwise to go back to N and F from R. Se we put the control box in forward asnd stabbed the lower unit back in. tested it again and not working so pulled it back out. This time i could only find nuetral (N) and forward(F) on the lower shift shaft when turning it with pliers. No reverse could be found. Then we noticed that the shaft that goes up into and below the powerhead that attatches to the shift linkage wass pushed up out of guide hole that it sits in, so we hit it with a hammer and it went back into that hole, however the prop was still in forward and i couldnt find reverse on the lower shift shaft when turning with pliers. A forum i read said that you turn that lower shift shaft counterclok wise from forward to get to N then R. So i did that. in N the prop spun freely either direction. But one more turn counterslok wise would just pop it back into forward, instead of into reverse. Well after 2 days of pulling and then restabbing the LU, i just decided to put it back 2gether and go test it. The prop was in forward when we aligned the splines of the lower shift shaft to the upper shift shaft, as well as the control box was in forward. so we took it to the water hose and tested it. First off, just to say, we did bypass the neutral start safety switch. so it starts in gear now. the test revieled that the prop was in forward gear, and no matter where we moved the control box it stayed in forward, and had no neutral and no reverse even when we pushed the control box all the way into reverse. we checked all mechanisms for the shift assembly from the control box to the lower unit, and they all turn properly. but it wont shift out of forward or into neutral. Please help! posted january 30 2011

merc850

Commander
Re: 1969 merc 650 stuck in forward gear

Trying to shift into reverse without turning the propshaft won't work! Turn the shift shaft CCW until it is in Neutral make sure the control box is in neutral then carefully attach lower unit ,this way you know the cam is in the right position. And do not shift into reverse unless the engine is running.

69merc650

Cadet

so u are saying that if i stab the LU in neutral and it all goes back together just fine and lined up right, then when i start the motor that it will be able to shift into forward, then neutral then reverse from the control in the boat?! Y wont the shift shaft go into reverse without the propshaft turning? is it justt he way it is?

merc850

Commander

That is the surest way to get it shifting right, there is a cam with 3 positions in it and Neutral is the middle part of the cam. The reason you shouldn't shift into reverse statically is that the sliding clutch has "ramps" for forward engagement but only "blocks" for reverse.
Lower-Units0061.jpg

69merc650

Cadet

Ok, thanks for that info, its greatly appreciated. I will definetly try that out and will post on here the new results, it will be a few days though! Like i said we had reverse right after the LU was put back in after we replaced the impeller, but no forward or neutral, and we figured the splines werent right so we took it off and realigned and had no neutral or reverse. So this makes me feel that there is not anything broken in the gear case. After reading your replies and calling a few marine shops today i feel that the advice you gave is best! thank you!

69merc650

Cadet

so if anyone else has any ideas please let me know!!!! two heads are beter than one! also i found this awesom PDF file on the lower unit, maybe it will help others know how this works a lil! I can know find reverse in my lower unit with the pliers, but i have to turn the drive shaft at the same time in order to click it into and out of reverse!!!! that would agree with merc850 thanX!

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6B3R3.PDF

Last edited:

69merc650

Cadet

My problem seemed to have solved itself today! I got out of bed, started a fire in the shop, let it warm up and got to work..... while the lower unit was off i went ahead and pulled the water pump impeller cover off and installed the new gaskets and aluminum plate, just so i knew that was good....then i started trying to uncover why the shift shaft wouldnt align properly.... it took me about f ive hours to get it working..... anyway at first i thought that i had somehow twisted the splines in the shift shaft coupler, so i tried to remove it to really give it a look, but didnt succeed so gave up on that.... really hadnt done antyhing different than i had been doing.... but finally at 230 i said hell wit it and just pushed it in, aligned it to what i thot was the best i could and bolted her up.... what i did do different this time was after i had the LU bolted in i took it out and hooked it to the water hose and started the motor and THEN shifted it into forward reverse neutral etc..... worked fine like a champion. seems to anyway, only time will tell.... so maybe wut i learned was never shift a boat motor unless the prop shaft is spinning!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

They can be really tricky to get back properly, I spent 2 hrs one day trying to get it back on. It's because of the fine splines on the shift shaft and if the don't go back together perfectly it simply won't work, neutral is quick to pop out of gear upon reassembly.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for this. I droped my lower 20+ times today. Same thing as this. If the rain lets up tomorrow I'll try again.

Kalvyn

Cadet

I have the same motor and recently had similar issues except i couldn't shift into forward when i seated the lower unit on the motor. I ended up modifying the reverse lock cam and it works fine. My solution for u is when you drop the lower unit use a 9mm socket to turn the shift shaft instead of using pliers...OUCH. If the unit is still in forward then try turning the shaft clockwise and you will hit a spot of free play. Keep going until your in reverse. It seems to only help sometimes if you turn the prop. You'll here it click and the go an eighth of a turn while spinning the prop shaft until it locks in both directions. That signals you are in reverse. Now put the control box into the reverse position and seat the lower unit. DO NOT FORCE IT! Believe me. Be patient. If you have a manual it tells you to have the unit in forward gear for ease of installation and if you read forums they say all kinds of diffrent things. But the reverse thing worked for me. My only problem now is my control box is worn out. Just give it a try and let me know cause i was so frustrated (after 5hrs of labor) and now that it works i grin from ear to ear when i look at it. Plus i was a lone mechanic and it definately is easier with an extra set of hands. GOOD LUCK:)