1997 Mercury 115, no power to ignition...need some troubleshooting suggestions

adobe wall

Cadet
Here's what I've got:

A pair of 1997 115 Mercury Outboards. Port engine has no power at the ignition switch. Starboard engine starts and runs normally.

Here's what I've done:
1) verified batteries were charged and load tested.
2) verified battery isolator switches were correctly turned on
3) Port engine will power tilt using the button on the cowling. Will not tilt using the tilt button on the side of the port engine throttle.
4) checked and compared 12V power at the back of the ignition switch. Swapped wires from starboard switch to port switch...have 12 volts to the switch on the starboard switch, do not have power to the switch on the port switch. Wire I am checking is red with a thin blue trace.
5) traced the red w/blue trace wire from the port ignition switch to the first weatherpack connector, checked continuity and it was good.
6) tested port ignition switch, it is good.

Wire harness then goes into the hull and back out at the transom. Have found the same wire (red with thin blue trace) and it goes all the way into the port engine. Stopped there.

If there's some additional tests I can do, I'll do that, or a suggested component swap. Otherwise I guess I'm lucky that I've got a very good local Mercury dealer. Any suggestions appreciated.

tia
aw

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 Mercury 115, no power to ignition...need some troubleshooting suggestions

I just had this problem on my 96 115. It was a bad connection in the wiring harness that goes from the motor up to the ignition switch. The remote harness plugs into the motor at a connection under the cowl.

If you search my name you should find my post about it. See if what I did might help you out with yours.

EDIT: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=455442 That's my post about what sounds to be the same problem. Good luck with it.

adobe wall

Cadet
Re: 1997 Mercury 115, no power to ignition...need some troubleshooting suggestions

thanks Pinellas, that be the first thing I check. Will be a few days before I bring the boat back to check this out.

aw

adobe wall

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestion Pinellas. I pulled the boat back into the driveway this morning, found the connections where the Mercury engine harness was extended out to the remote switch. Couldn't believe the OEM wiring was unprotected butt connectors but that's what they were, and the power wire to the switch was broken off. I went ahead and tinned/heat shrinked all those connections. Engine ran great.

Really satisfying to find and diagnose a problem and fix it. I felt like I had just about hit the limit of my technical ability, so your post was really appreciated.

aw

2011-02-06102042.jpg