• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

35HP mercury outboard won't start, new to boating

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35HP mercury outboard won't start, new to boating

Ok guys, new to the forums and about equally new to boating. I've fished my whole life, and finally have a boat of my own.

Bought the boat knowing it has motor problems. Got a great deal, so that didn't matter.

The motor is a 35 HP, serial # 6491xxx, which dates it as a 1984 I believe.

Anyway, when I go to start it, it cranks, and cranks, and cranks, but won't start! It's almost like the starter doesn't have enough juice, or the battery is dying. The battery is fine, and I think the starter is too, but it's possible it's not. It sounds like when I go to start my car and the battery barely has enough juice to start it. The difference with my boat is is that it will turn over and turn over, but never fire up. The spark plugs have excellent spark. When the spark plugs are out (and the key is turned), it spins much faster and free-er.

When try to turn the top by hand, it is VERY TIGHT, almost immoveable. My 3 buddies motors (some mercury, some evinrude) spin by hand pretty easily (all between 25 and 40 HP).

Where do I start trying to figure out what is wrong? I am halfway inclined to think the head is warped or something, or the piston is swollen or the piston rod is bent, since it's so tight. The motor has around 115 pounds of compression on it, is this normal?

Just trying to figure out where to start and what to do. Thanks guys in advance for all the help!

Re: 35HP mercury outboard won't start, new to boating

sounds like you could have some serious engine problems there..if it is noticeably harder to spin than other motors..could be someone forgot to put oil in the gas and damaged the crank..or bearings...how long has the motor been sitting?
    Free ignition troubleshooting guide http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs...owFlipBtn=true
    You will need a DVA adapter http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat...e/ESI-640.html First test compression, Second test spark with a spark gap tester set a 7/16 gap, Third check timing, next CLEAN your carbs properly,

Comment

Originally posted by SparkieBoat View Post
      sounds like you could have some serious engine problems there..if it is noticeably harder to spin than other motors..could be someone forgot to put oil in the gas and damaged the crank..or bearings...how long has the motor been sitting?
      since last spring (2010). i'm betting this is the problem, mainly because it seems like I was told this may have happened.

I figured there was something semi major wrong. how do I go about getting it fixed, and what am i looking at spending? thanks a lot

Comment

My 35 had problems..it had no fire on the upper cylinder..it would turn over fast then slow like the battery was really low... turned out to be the switch box....

if both plugs are firing & it spins easily with the plugs out, it sounds like a lack of fuel..if the engine has good compression expect it to be hard to turn..if it turns easily with the plugs out it is hardly internal problems in my opinion.

Comment

i can usually pick up a good running 80s model 30-40 HP motor for around $700 sometimes less..keep your old one for parts
          Free ignition troubleshooting guide http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs...owFlipBtn=true
          You will need a DVA adapter http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat...e/ESI-640.html First test compression, Second test spark with a spark gap tester set a 7/16 gap, Third check timing, next CLEAN your carbs properly,

Comment

i can usually pick up a good running 80s model 30-40 HP motor for around $700 sometimes less..keep your old one for parts
            so you wouldn't recommend trying to get it fixed?

thanks gej i'll try that!

if anyone else has anything else to add i would greatly appreciate it

Comment

You may be interested in this link
              http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lp...e_ad&id=271255

Comment

it doesn't show a price. is the one i have not worth fixing, should i start looking for another? plus, that's an awful long way to drive, lol.

anyone else have any other input on what to check on this?

Comment

the louisianasportsman.com link is simply a way of you getting some prices & passing some time....I'm not suggesting buying another motor..you need to trouble shoot this one. There are many people on here with high expertise levels that can guide you through the trouble shooting if you are the least bit mechanically inclined & are patient. Good luck on your project.

Comment

I am having the same problem with a 9.9hp merc.

Comment

I would not recommend you trying to rebuild your motor yourself unless you just want to do it to learn how..but your cheapest way out is to get a good used motor...or you could take yours to a good mechanic and let them take a look at it and give you some prices to fix..my guess is it will be in the $1500 range. but if they are good and do it right you will have a good reliable motor.

Comment

Originally posted by gejandsons View Post
                        the louisianasportsman.com link is simply a way of you getting some prices & passing some time....I'm not suggesting buying another motor..you need to trouble shoot this one. There are many people on here with high expertise levels that can guide you through the trouble shooting if you are the least bit mechanically inclined & are patient. Good luck on your project.
                        ok, I understand. Thanks!

I would not recommend you trying to rebuild your motor yourself unless you just want to do it to learn how..but your cheapest way out is to get a good used motor...or you could take yours to a good mechanic and let them take a look at it and give you some prices to fix..my guess is it will be in the $1500 range. but if they are good and do it right you will have a good reliable motor.
                        wow, pricey! i want to know how to do it, and i'm not looking for the cheapest way out necessarily. maybe i'll just run it to a mechanic and see what he thinks.

thanks guys. if anyone else has anymore input, please post! thanks!

Comment

Alright boys, got some more information for us! I appreciate all the help so far.

With the spark plugs out, I still can not get the motor to turn by hand. I can with a wrench, but not by hand. There is definitely a rubbing/creek sound at one point during the stroke. It would ALMOST start this morning when shooting some starting fluid it in, but it just wouldn't all the way go. Does any of this info help at all? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X