Mercury V6 How many Crankshaft Sealing Rings should I have ?

daniel6762

Cadet
About to start rebuilding a merc V6 150, I have being through what year it may be in another thread so for the intent of the question lets assume its a 19825 model.

My crankshaft has 8 sealing rings on it with provisions for one more, I understand that a gear drive is used on some models to run the oil injection pump but this has been removed on my motor.

Question is am I better off installing another crankshaft sealing ring to bring the total to 9 or should I reassemble the engine without it. ? What are the pros cons for both avenues ? The engine ran fine before with out the extra ring fitted. When I say fine, eventually #4 leaned out, don't believe it is related to the crankshaft ring not being fitted though.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury V6 How many Crankshaft Sealing Rings should I have ?

8 rings will be fine as your front half is miss-matched and wont support the 9th one.

daniel6762

Cadet

Not sure why you thing my front half is miss-matched ?

daniel6762

Cadet

both halves of the sealing surfaces look brand new, it still has dowl pins and there is no scoring etc on any on the others. Wouldn't having the additional ring provide for more even fuel distribution and better sealing ?