1987 150 Mariner Ignition Problems

Having problems with keeping motor running. Motor runs for 60 seconds and then has no spark. If consistantly trying to start motor it will not start. If motor left to sit it will eventually start again and same issue. Runs for only 60 seconds. Was having issues with motor overcharging initially. It was charging at 16 volts.there is no voltage regulater on this motor it did not come on this model. Changed rectifier and it did not solve the problem. I am wondering if stator is bad? Please help me with my problem.

Dukedog

Captain
Re: 1987 150 Mariner Ignition Problems

Lets eliminate tha fuel first cause thats what it really sounds like.

Have tried pushin' tha enrichner in at start and/or when it starts ta die? Or if that doesn't work try squirting a tad bit of pre-mix in tha carbs. This will eliminate/or be tha cause (fuel deliverly) and tha easiest to determine fuel isn't an issue........If this doesn't work we can look elsewhere......

Should have a regulator unless someone has chuncked it. Little more than 2 inches square mounted on top rear of tha block, red and yellow wire going ta tha rectifier. Some say its a fire hazard but I've yet ta see one in flames and I've run 'em since they first came out. Still run 'em on both my 260's

I have all reddy eliminated the fuel as being a problem i know there is no spark at times.And their is no regulator on this model.

Dukedog

Captain

I have all reddy eliminated the fuel as being a problem i know there is no spark at times.And their is no regulator on this model.

So its a nine amp stator/flywheel? If its electrical easiest way would get your meter and dva then go ta CDI site for diagnostics and get after it. I'm just not good at tellin' check this wire ta that wire or that wire for this reading and etc. Maybe Martin will get on here. He's pretty good at explaining that stuff....