Mercury 60 4s timing belt slipping

kennythejoiner

Recruit
I have a 2009 out board as title that will be 2 years old in March, last week when I went to increase speed it felt like it was only half speed.

Went back to port and went through all the usual things without finding the problem.

End up in the out board hospital and when its plug in it says it?s a failed coil that was replaced and it still won?t run at full speed, It then comes about that no 1 cylinder plug is dry and getting no fuel, the whole fuel system, and injectors are tested and cleaned.

It?s still not right when they went to check the timing it was well of by about two teeth as there is no adjustment on these a replacement was ordered when on the phone to the uk importer my dealer was told they have had this problem before. I have googled it and came up with a blank other than this great site.
What I want to know is this a common thing and what damage has been done to my outboard...

dunc333

Seaman
Re: Mercury 60 4s timing belt slipping

mate you should still be under warranty ,i have not heard of a belt slip yet i have 2004 model,would get them to check keyways on crank shaft and cam shaft as maybe one is broken or you have a dodgey belt , the dio machine should have said that the flywheel sensor was out .a few more teeth and all over rover if you no what i mean:cool:

The only way I have heard of a belt slipping is if the moter is turned counter clockwise or if the belt was put on upside down. The readable letters should right side up not upside down.

kennythejoiner

Recruit

Its done 150hr I don't think its been fitted wrong..? My mechanic thinks it stretched when the coil failed causing a jump of some kind Its back together now and I'm going to give it a run out to see how it is.