Poppet valve assembly?

spamn

Seaman
I purchased a Merc 402 and it had some overheating problems. When I popped the transfer port cover I found that the t-stat was toast and the entire poppet valve group was melted. I just got the new parts in and cleaned out the housing of the melted plastic. I want to install the new parts, but I have no idea how the poppet valve and carrier go in.

Since the old parts were melted down, there was no way to note from them. Can anyone provide me with any guidance on this one?

1973 Mercury 402 2 cylinder 40 hp.

I have the valve, spring, washer, and grommet. Here is the site I ordered it from and the diagram they have. However the diagrams do not always show the parts in "install order".

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...MOUNTING BRACKET (SERIAL GROUP #3)/parts.html

Thanks
Sam

spamn

Seaman
Re: Poppet valve assembly?

Thanks for the quick and informative response. What manual is that from? I have a manual for my engine but it is very vague.

I have another unrelated question.. I tried to install my new impeller today and found that it is a pain to get on to the shaft. Should it be that difficult? Also, my water pump cover does not look like it will accomadate the impellers size. It appears to be the same size as my old impeller, but it's hard to tell since my old impeller had no fins left :(
Are the fins on the impeller supposed to bend a bit to fit into the water pump cover?

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Poppet valve assembly?

They're supposed to bend a lot! Cover the inside of the water pump cover with a film of dishwashing soap and, with impeller in place (don't forgot the key), push the cover against the impeller while rotating the driveshaft clockwise viewed from top.

BTW, it's not unrelated. The t-stat assembly melted cause the impeller was bad. If it overheated to that point, chances are that the pistons are scuffed. How did they look when you removed the exhaust cover? Did you check compression?