Pulling flywheel hub on 1980 Mercury 50 hp

Markeb63

Cadet
I have a new trigger that will be arriving tomorrow so I figured I would take the old one off today. I talked with a friend of my neighbor's who does some outboard repair work and he said I could use a puller to remove the hub underneath the flywheel. Other posts on here confirmed this. While I am not incompetent when it comes to mechanic work I have never done anything like this before nor have I seen it done. I have attached a photo to see if I am on the right track. The hub just seems like it does not want to move and I would just assume not break anything. I have sprayed it with WD40 and a teflon spray to loosen it up. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Hub Pulling.jpg

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pulling flywheel hub on 1980 Mercury 50 hp

The puller you have rigged should work. The more bolts the better on your inside ring. Once tight it ought to pop right off. If not give the center bolt of the puller a little smack with a hammer. Never had one that didn't come after that.

The Merc tool/puller actually screws into the top of the flywheel and the center screw is tightened against the crank shaft. No need to pull all the screws out of the flex plate and outer flywheel.

Hopefully you heavily and cautiously marked the outside and inside and flex plate parts of your flywheel carefully. Once that flex plate goes back on it is VERY important that the outer and inner iron lines up. It's all about the engine timing. If you didn't mark it well the combinations of trying to make it work are far too many to fool with. and you would most likely be stuck finding a new/used flywheel assy.

When you put it back together, be sure to dry the crank to flywheel surface. (Use no oil or grease on reassembly.) Good luck!

Markeb63

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I did have everything marked up but I was still concerned about keeping all the parts lined up. I went ahead and put the flywheel back on. I only took it off because I saw another picture of someone working on the same thing and they had their flywheel removed. The flywheel made it easier to get more torque on the center bolt and then a couple of good whacks with a hammer popped the hub right off. Here's hoping to be back on the water next weekend.

grizzly83

Recruit

how can you make sure that the flywheel goes back on right. I had to pull mine and I didnt mark it before i unbolted it and took it off and i have no idea how to be sure I got it back on right. I lined up the tdc 0 degrees mark with the keyway on the shaft but im not sure that is correct.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

why did you take the flexplate and outer flywheel off? Not a smart choice.. those warp easily when not attached to the hub. Why not pay 35 bucks and get the right tool that can take the flywheel off without removing the flex plate? You can then also use it for lifting the entire engine...

grizzly83

Recruit

my motor is a 40 hp mercury 1982. All i did to remove the flywheel was remove the 5 or 6 bolts that runs through the pull rope portion of the flywheel. that allowed me to pull the entire flywheel assembly off of the crank shaft leaving nothing but a small round hub on the crank shaft. there is no keways or markings on the piece that i found on the flywheel itself to match it up with the crankshaft that i found. The only thing i have to go by is the keyway on the shaft hub and the timing marks on the flywheel. Right now i have lined up the keyway on the hub with the 0 degree tdc mark on the flywheel.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

grizzly83, i was not referring to your post. Your post was what we call a hyjack, it appears that you are new here so we will blame it on ignorance and not just trying to be rude. Your post is a hyjack because it distracts members from the original posters question. If you have a question, start your own thread. The OP did not start this thread in order to have somebody else's somewhat related but still different question answered, the member started it to have their own question answered.

grizzly83

Recruit

grizzly83, i was not referring to your post. Your post was what we call a hyjack, it appears that you are new here so we will blame it on ignorance and not just trying to be rude. Your post is a hyjack because it distracts members from the original posters question. If you have a question, start your own thread. The OP did not start this thread in order to have somebody else's somewhat related but still different question answered, the member started it to have their own question answered.

Sorry I "Hijacked" a 4 post thread that NOBODY had commented on since early January. Also judging from the content of the conversation the problem seemed to be resolved. I had started my own thread and have had no replies. I was hoping by commenting on an old post with similar problems it would be noticed by people that already have knowledge of similar problems. Instead of being a **** to so called ignorant users just answer the questions if you want to help and if not don?t show the world how big an *** people from NW Missouri can be.

P.S Mr. Intelligence, Hijacked is spelled with an I not a Y