1979 Mariner 115 carb/fuel pump rebuild advice.

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice
My boat was stored properly indoors from 1986 until the summer of 2010. It starts right up and runs decent, however at full throttle sometimes it will just lose RPM and die. It always fires right back up and runs the same but doesn't like to run at WOT for long. I would imagine that 24 years of hibernation has not been good to the rubber parts of the fuel system so I've been thinking about rebuilding the fuel pump and carbs to alleviate my problem. The motor is an inline 6, 115 HP from 1979. Am I on the right track?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Mariner 115 carb/fuel pump rebuild advice.

I think you are on the right track. First rebuild the wate pump so you don't fry her....

The fuel pumps were marginal on that model, so make sure you are using 3/8" ID fuel line, all filters are clear, the antisiphon valve in the fuel tank (if you have one), is clear and rebuild the fuel pump. I would blast out the main jets in the carbs, to make sure they are clear and install a new set of plugs and take it for a test run. Examine the plugs for a chocolate or light brown color. White plugs are too lean and the carbs need service.

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks
Water pump was done before ever putting it in the water last August, I also threw in new plugs. Next is fuel pump then carbs I think.
Thanks
Scotty

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would recommend getting an OEM Manual for this motor specifically and go from that during your rebuild. The other after market manuals are pretty vague sometimes!