2000 75hp mercury swivel bracket

Tassy Emmett

Recruit
Need to replace top and bottom swivel bracket bushes is this complicated, does the power head need to come off, can you buy a kit rather than individual parts, any tricks to be aware off.
Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 75hp mercury swivel bracket

1st thing why? That's a BIG job.I wouldn't want to do it.The whole thing(I think) needs to come apart.
If you have stiff steering then there is an easier fix.
Tell us why you want to do the job.J

GPSDuckHunter

Seaman Apprentice

I recently did this to a 2002 Merc. 40hp. It was a huge job. You have to basically disassemble the motor to individual components. Take lower unit completely off (might as well replace water pump while down there), remove powerhead (make sure you label each wire and throttle wires), take tube completely out, remove bottom seal and bushing, replace bushing and seal, replace top bushing, then reassemble.

To do all this took me several weeks since I had to order lifting eye, parts, and because I can only work on the motor/boat after work. You will need to order a new gasket for junction between powerhead and exhaust plate or whatever they call it.

I'm a lawyer and I was able to handle the job. I wouldn't call it terribly difficult, just time intensive and a lot of moving parts. Seloc manual was very helpful.

Good luck.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Jerry.. I have had many motors that have slop in them due to the fiber bushing in the lower end of the bracket...unless you go fast like I do with my 19ft pickle it won't hurt you.. I replaced mine and put solid motor mounts on to stop any play at all since going 90 with a motor moving around could be very dangerous...Steve